Thursday, March 29, 2018

what I read: March 2018!



Um, if someone could just tell me where March went... I would really appreciate it.  It's so cliche, but I can't even believe how quickly this month flew by and I'm so disappointed that I hardly got any reading done. I thought last month was bad, but boy was March a flop for reading... BUT we (some!?) all read a book together for the first time (check out last month's post for our first "bookclub" announcement) and so I'm happy to be back here today slightly empty handed but still ready to chat all things books!  Also I read two books this month with the main character named "Eve" - isn't that so weird and random?

So without further ado... this is what I read this month:

This Love Story will Self-Destruct... This is the classic girl meets boy book but reimagined in a believable and modern way. I loved that the characters in this book were relatable with their problems, insecurities and emotions.  This is a perfectly fun weekend or beach read.  What did you think about it? Did it give you college flash-backs, like it did for me? Did you love the complicated yet touching 9/11 storyline that was woven in? Did you sometimes get frustrated at Eve for being so difficult and likewise with Ben for being so "good"?  Give me all your thoughts on it over on Facebook so we can all chime in on the comments! (comments on the blog haven't been working on and off - sorry about that!)

The Alice Network... this is a book I have had on my Amazon wishlist for a while so when it was chosen for my most recent "real life" bookclub I was excited to read it. This WWI/WWII era historical fiction novel is based on a real network or female spies that operated in Europe during both wars. I fell in love with both main characters Charlie and Eve - both women carving their own path in life and refusing to follow societies expectations of them.  Fair warning: this book is long and clocks in at just over 500 with some aspects of the storyline being extremely overwrought.  While I loved the spy storyline I do have to admit that a few storylines of the book are just way too "convenient" or cliche and while WWII era novels are some of my favorite, I don't know if this would rank as high as many others I have read. If you love this genre... I would go for it and read it. If you are so-so on this genre then save your time and read these other WWII era novels instead that I HIGHLY recommend: Women in the Castle, All the Light We Cannot See, The Nightingale, The Paris Architect, or Life After Life which are just a few of my other favorites.

Ready Player One... I am currently reading this one. While I'm not a big sci-fi fan I DO love post-apocalyptic novels (which this kind of reminds me of) and it seems like EVERYONE is talking about this novel that is soon to be (or already?) a movie by Steven Spielburg.  So far it's VERY different than anything I have ever read, but I am enjoying it thoroughly as an escape from everyday life! Have you read it yet? I'm pleasantly surprised how much I am enjoying this book about video games. Who knew? And if you have older kids in the house (teens) this would be a fun mother-daughter/son choice. I know my son is going to LOVE this book.

Since I am leaving on spring break in just a few days I thought I would fill you in on a few books I plan to read by the beach (or try to) this month...

A Wrinkle in Time - Usually this is required reading for school, so I have no idea how I haven't read it yet. I can't wait to see the movie as I am a HUGE Mindy Kaling (and Reese and Oprah) fan but I want to read the book first!
The Great Alone - seriously everyone is raving about this book!
Beneath a Scarlett Sky - no less than 10 people have told me to put this on my to-be-read list.  That's a good sign!
The Wedding Date - I've heard great reviews and it sounds like the perfect beach read!
Castle of Water - someone just said they read this in 2 days - now that is the perfect spring break read! And since the premise of this book looks so amazing... let's do this one for our April bookclub! If you are interested... join us in reading it over the next couple of weeks and then check back to discuss it at the end of the month! Enjoy!



 

site design by kiki co.