Thursday, March 1, 2018

what I read this month: February 2018! (and a fun new announcement!)


First things first... I have to get off my chest that I feel like I could have done WAY more reading than I did this month - BUT, those dang Winter Olympics took up all my time.  Anyone else love snuggling up and watching the Olympics this past month? I am so sad they are over already... I feel like it just flied by.  So my reading time was quite limited because of that.  Also, I started a few books and just wasn't into them and put them down.  I always feel like I lose so much momentum that way, but I refuse to read a book I don't enjoy. So. I did still get a little reading done (whew!)... here are the books I read this month...

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine... This was book was our bookclub selection this month and I likely wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. At first quirky Eleanor Oliphant isn't the most likable character. But as this sweet and touching novel unfolds we realize that Eleanor Oliphant is the hero of this story and one of the most likable main characters that I've read in a while.  It's impossible to describe this book without giving too much away, but it's a tender page turner with characters you won't soon forget and also laugh out loud funny at times.  (Also try Where'd You Go, Bernadette? for another likable but quirky female lead)

Wedding Toasts I'll Never Give... This book was a fun and easy read on the good/bad/ugly of marriage.  Part memoir, part antidotal this book deep dives into the reasons marriages survive or don't  and that even though marriage sometimes gets a bad rap or is increasingly perceived as old fashioned - that it's still an institution worth fighting for.  Fun and raw, this book was a super quick read making it perfect for a Saturday afternoon.  Wedding Toasts I'll Never Give reminded me a lot of this book... which I liked okay, but it was another interesting look at marriage.

I Was Anastasia... Don't KILL ME! But this book isn't out until March 27... but I just HAD to mention it here because it was one of the best books I have read in the longest time.  So head to Amazon or your library home page to request it NOW.  I don't know what rock I was living under but I knew nothing previously of the Romanov's, their fall from power or the rumors that Anastasia Romanov may have lived through the brutal killing of the entire family. I don't want to give too much of the storyline away here, but this book has two storylines.  One storyline is "Anna" going from the present backwards, the other storyline is "Anastasia" going from the past forward.  If you love historical fiction and a good mystery make sure to pick up this book. I am now completely obsessed with the Romanov family and can't wait to read more on this fascinating family. (Disclosure: I was given an Advanced Review Copy of this book to read free of charge, all opinions are my own) If you just can't wait for this book to be released try some of my other favorites by this same author: Flight of Dreams or The Wife, The Maid and The Mistress - I highly recommend both!

White Rose, Black Forest... As you know, my favorite genre is historical fiction, especially World War II stories. What is it about that fascination? I know I am not the only one since there are SO many books on the subject.  I absolutely tore through this historical fiction/thriller in just a few days, I couldn't stop reading! Every time I come across another WWII book I think 'how could this story possibly be different than the others?' - and then it always is somehow a little different.  Just another little angle of all the history, personal stories, suffering and good coming from bad during this time.  This book begins with the main character, Franka, heading into the Black Forest to kill herself and she happens upon a German soldier that has crashed to the ground from the sky.  But he's not who he says he is and I couldn't get to the end of this book fast enough to unravel the story! Some of my other favorite WWII books are: The Nightengale, All the Light We Cannot See, The Women in the Castle and everyone is raving about this one but I haven't read it yet!

What have you been reading lately? I would love to know!

~~~

Now for the fun part! I thought it would be fun to read a book TOGETHER this month!  Who's in!?!?  It will be our first ever good life book club! I chose a fun and light-hearted rom-com for our first selection.  The book This Love Story Will Self Destruct is the perfect spring or spring break read... below is the synopsis and I hope you will join us!  We will do a fun little Q&A about the book next month together and rate it to see how we liked it.

This is the classic tale of boy meets girl: Girl…goes home with someone else.

Meet Eve. She’s a dreamer, a feeler, a careening well of sensitivities who can’t quite keep her feet on the ground, or steer clear of trouble. She’s a laugher, a crier, a quirky and quick-witted bleeding-heart-worrier.

Meet Ben. He’s an engineer, an expert at leveling floors who likes order, structure, and straight lines. He doesn’t opine, he doesn’t ruminate, he doesn’t simmer until he boils over.

So naturally, when the two first cross paths, sparks don’t exactly fly. But then they meet again. And again. And then, finally, they find themselves with a deep yet fragile connection that will change the course of their relationship—possibly forever.

Follow Eve and Ben as they navigate their twenties on a winding journey through first jobs, first dates, and first breakups; through first reunions, first betrayals and, maybe, first love. This is When Harry Met Sally reimagined; a charming tale told from two unapologetically original points of view. With an acerbic edge and heartwarming humor, debut novelist Leslie Cohen takes us on a tour of what life looks like when it doesn’t go according to plan, and explores the complexity, chaos, and comedy in finding a relationship built to last.


 

site design by kiki co.