Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hooked On: Butcher Block Counters

Our kitchen is in SEVERE need of a remodel... ugliest. cabinets. ever. And the countertops run a close second. But kitchens are expensive and we have absolutely no budget for it now!

The cabinets need to be replaced, there is no painting, resurfacing or "working with them" here folks. They are ugly and even more cheap than ugly. The shelves sag with the weight of my dishes and the layout is all wrong! So we know those need to be replaced.

While we have accepted the cost to replace the cabinets. The counters are another story. Granite is glorious, quartz is luscious and concrete is swoon-worthy. But all are quite pricey, no?

In working to think outside the box a bit... I realized a less expensive and yet very attractive countertop option! Butcher block! Ikea has some really great sizes and finishes and working with a talented carpenter, I think we could finish them quite nicely.


Here are some lovely examples of it in real kitchens....

(photo)


(photo)


(photo)


(photo)

With a minimal investment, like butcher block, it's easy to "upgrade" in 3-5 years and the money you originally spent on them wouldn't be a waste. So, verdict? Are you hooked on them like me?

~~~

For more "Hooked On" fun... visit Hooked On Houses!

18 comments:

Terry said...

I'm with you on butcher blog. I'm tired of granite and stainless. They are great but aren't they just too "in?"

Butcher block will show wear and I think that adds human charm.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oh yes...hooked BIG time! We have a whole wall of Butcher Block and I LOVE it. Have had it for 4 years now.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I had LIMITED funds when I remodeled my kitchen, too, but oddly enough, I found that there are a number of granite places out there that work in remnant pieces, therefore dropping the price INCREDIBLY! Butcher block is AWESOME, but if your heart is set on granite, keep looking for deals!

Carisa said...

Can't wait to see what your finished kitchen looks like!
Mrs. Petrie @ http://casapetrie.com/blog/

tatumfam said...

Way to think outside the box! I really like this idea!!

Maddio said...

Yes, you can definitely find granite for cheaper at places that deal in surplus or remnants. But, I like the butcher block idea too. Who needs a cutting board when you have your entire counter? :) It adds a lot of warmth and depth to the kitchen. I've been eyeing the very same butcher block counters and big basin sink at Ikea for a while now. One of these days I'll get my own dream kitchen...
-Maddie
http://cultivationnation.blogspot.com

paula said...

I do love this look. so warm.

Suzy said...

I love butcher block, I have had it in my last two kitchens and decided to go with a soapstone look this time!
Thanks for sharing!

Rue said...

Oh yeah, I'm hooked... so hooked that we already priced it for our kitchen at Ikea :)

We have an old house and I think that granite would look out of place and although I love marble and soapstone, it's not in our budget either, so butcher block is what we're going with. I actually wanted it in the first place, but had to convince my husband that it was the best choice economically ;)

Great post!
rue

Cass @ That Old House said...

Love the butcher block -- looks great, wears well with a little care, and you can cut on it and put down a hot pot. Scratches and dings are part of the charm.

I'm tired of seeing granite everywhere, but we'll probably end up using it when we re-do the kitchen here -- it's turning out to be cheaper than some other alternatives!
Cass

laurelstreet said...

You may have saved my kitchen island - thanks for the IKEA link. I had no idea! I was going to replace the top with Bamboo block, but I love American wood grains more.

Thank You Thank You!

Magchunk said...

I've always loved these! Yay for not being a slave to the granite! Of course, I rent, so I have cheapo laminate countertops.

Jess Constable said...

Sign me up for the last kitchen and a mix of white marble and butcher block!

anonymously chic said...

i've seen ikea kitchens in person before and they've turned out quite nicely. go for it!

Leila said...

I love your idea.

Warm butcher blocks instead of cold granite any day!

Would you like to see how I got a butcher block island? I would love you to come visit!

http://ourmothersdaughters.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-i-got-butcher-block.html

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Great ideas! We both would love to re-do our kitchens {now you got our wheels turning!}
Karla & Karrie

Marilyn said...

I have several surfaces in my kitchen, but the one I'll never be without is butcher block. In our old house, I loved my bake shop's well-worn maple top so much that I ripped it up and took it home.

Here in the new house, I'm breaking in a section of maple John Boos Block. It's an investment for the ages, and you won't be sorry! Good luck with your kitchen.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I like it! Sounds like a great solution to me. Can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out! :-)


 

site design by kelly christine studio