Friday, March 13, 2020

trench coat review!

Today I have a fun review for you all as I search for the PERFECT trench coat for spring. I bought a trench coat a few seasons ago that I like, but it's very thin. It looks beautiful when I wear it, but I've found it's not as warm or weather friendly as I hoped it would be. This past winter I have really enjoyed wearing my Daphne coat in a warm khaki color. It's the color coat that goes with everything in my closet. But now that the weather is turning a bit I wanted a similar feeling coat but more seasonally appropriate.

I ordered three options in styles I can really see myself getting a lot of wear out of this season and for many more season to come. Today I am going to try each option on, tell you my honest opinions, talk sizing and then hopefully make a decision by the end! Let's take a look at the options...


What I love: This trench coat is the REAL DEAL. The fabric is definitely waterproof, it has a nice warm liner that is removable and the hardware is just gorgeous. This is a true classic trench coat. Plus, it has a removable hood (that is not shown here). It's hands down the most durable and weather-proof of all the options I tried here.
Who this is perfect for: Someone that plans on wearing it in raining or harsh conditions on the regular. This felt very "rain coat" -ish to me. It's perfect for rainy climates like Seattle, Oregon or San Francisco or if you are regularly outdoors for sports, etc
Sizing: This coat is true to size. I ordered a small and it fits great!
Verdict: I really like this one, but since I spend the entire winter in puffer coats this feels a little too "all weather" for me, where I am looking for something a little more style focused. 
Shop the looktrench, jeans, mules


What I love: Technically this isn't a true "trench" coat, but instead a "Mac" coat which is a type of raincoat. This coat is streamlined and chic while being perfectly minimalist. It's made of a nice thick canvas and lined on the top - I would consider this a lightweight jacket. This perfect spring jacket weight.
Who this is perfect for: Someone that wants a minimalist and modern look to the classic trench. 
Sizing: EDITED TO ADD: I changed my mind and went down a size. After trying it on with a few tops I decided I wanted one size smaller. I ordered a size 0 and I like the fit SO much more. 
Verdict: While I kind of miss the belt on this version - since the belt can be so flattering! - I really love this. I think this is just the look I am going for and I can really see myself getting a lot of wear out of this coat. Bonus, it's also the least expensive of all the options!
Shop the look: coat, striped topjeans, mules


What I love: The fabric on this one is gorgeous and I've seen this get rave reviews around the internet. Compared to the London Fog version above that has a very classic trench feel with a more all-weather feel, this one by comparison is a classic trench but less intense on the all-weather part. It would work great for everyday. It's fully lined with a gorgeous navy liner too.
Who this is perfect for: Anyone who likes this style! It's versatile and classic and would be great with a work wardrobe or a casual wardrobe. 
Sizing: Sizing on this was tricky. I tried the 0 and the 2 (J.Crew outerwear tends to run big on me). The 0 was really tight in the armpits and while the 2 fit great in the armpits/shoulders, it was too long on the sleeves and wayyyyy too long on the length. Also, I felt like the middle buttons should have hit where the belt hits (the natural waist) like in the first coat, but instead they hit down at the lower hips which felt super awkward. I wanted to order the 2 Petite, but it was out of stock when I originally ordered it, but now it looks like it's back in stock. Good for you - bad for me - haha!
Verdict: This is a great coat and while I really think petite would've been great I fell in love with the Everlane one in the meantime. Just bad fashion timing, you know? ;)
Shop the look: coatjeans, sneakers

 

site design by kiki co.