Monday, March 11, 2019

spring capsule wardrobe 2019!

Ever since I put together the holiday capsule collection last year you gals have been asking when another capsule will appear on the blog!  The holiday capsule took a ton of time to pull together, I purchased quite a few new things for that post and my husband and I spent hours shooting it. So when it came time to pull together another capsule I was instantly dragging my feet knowing the time and energy and money that went into pulling it together. I brainstormed for a few weeks on what the spring capsule would/could look like, I spent hours combing my favorite online stores coming up with a list of the pieces it would include and then got extremely discouraged.  I was in over my head and the creative juices just were NOT flowing.  Then I suddenly had a lightbulb moment.

In thinking about my goals for a capsule collection for spring - or what you gals would want to see in a capsule - I realized I was overthinking the whole thing WAY too much.

To me a capsule wardrobe should be a few things:
1) Seasonally appropriate. What pieces do I want to wear this season, what pieces work for this season?
2) EASY. I realized I was way overthinking the process.  A capsule collection should be the EASY pieces in our wardrobe. The ones we can mix and match over and over.
3) Speak to my personal style. These pieces should be the pieces that instantly come to mind when I think of my spring wardrobe. They should reflect my own personal style - not just what's "new" at the stores.
4) Classic. A capsule collection should embody the classic wardrobe staples in your closet. These pieces are the foundation of your/my closet for the current season.
5) Inclusive. A capsule collection should be able to work as a whole, but also leave room for other pieces as well. If you want to add a fun or bold or trendy piece - the capsule should work together AND work with other pieces well too.

With these things I mind I went to MY OWN CLOSET and stepped away from buying anything NEW or MORE.  I chose twelve pieces that I LOVE from my closet and that I know I will be wearing a ton for spring and used that as my capsule.  I will note that while some pieces here are new or new-ish... I didn't buy them specifically to create a capsule.  And I even worked to make sure that most of the items are pieces that you may already own. They are such classic basics that it's likely you already have them in your closet.  Or if you don't have them in your closet or these items need a refresh for you - you can 100% justify making the purchase because you will instantly see here that the pieces are extremely versatile.

Let's talk about the pieces I chose... first I went with three classic bottoms: white jeans (or more sizes of this similar option) which I wear a lot of in the spring and summer, high waisted jeans which are the current trend - but feel free to swap for skinny jeans if you aren't feeling this trend, black denim shorts are easy and mom friendly to wear - but feel free to swap for a denim skirt or maxi skirt if that is more your style. Then I went with one easy daytime-friendly striped dress. For tops I chose a graphic tee which every usually has in their closet, a simple white blouse which I bought last fall and have worn through the fall, winter and spring now it's so classic, a striped top because I wear a lot of stripes in the spring and summer and a chambray top because after taking a little break from chambray I seem to be obsessed with it again. Then spring is all about lightweight layers too, so I chose four light layers including a denim jacket which is always a favorite of mine, a utility jacket which never seems to go out of style and matches everything, this pink cardigan because it's the perfect spring layer and a sweater blazer for when I want to feel more pulled together.

Voila! These pieces are easy to wear, classic and while I put together 12 outfits here - I think you could easily pull together SO many more! I really truly hope you love this spring capsule and that it gives you tons of outfit inspiration for the season to come. I know I had a lot of fun pulling it together and I already can't wait to recreate some of these looks when the weather warms!


Now let's take a look at the individual outfits... 



Outfit 1 (above): I love a white on white look and the loafers and blazer pull this look together so beautifully. This is perfect for Sunday brunch, shopping with friends or even a casual Friday at the office. (Shop the pieces: graphic tee, white jeans, sweater blazer, loafers, cross body bag)

Outfit 2 (above): Chambray on denim on denim is a CLASSIC spring look. I can't even describe how much I love this look. This is a perfect mom-on-the-go look while still being really pulled together. (Shop the pieces: denim jacket, chambray top, white jeans, similar bucket bag, flats)

Outfit 3 (above): Again with the white one white - this is such an easy combo to pull together I couldn't resist. This time I paired it with a pink cardigan, pale blush sandals and a fun basket bag. This outfit is making me SO excited for spring. It's perfect for a casual Easter brunch, Mother's Day or a day date. (Shop the pieces: cardigan, white blouse, white jeans, sandals, basket bag)

Outfit 4 (above): If you've got ALL the mom duties on the schedule for the day, this layered look is perfect. I love these black jeans with chambray - it's a classic combo that's easy enough for everyday wear too. (Shop the pieces: black shorts, chambray top, striped top, similar circle bag, black slide sandals)

Outfit 5 (above): These black shorts are going to get so much wear this spring and summer, I can tel already! With a graphic tee and a utility jacket they are perfect for hanging at the park with kids, running errands or even tourist activities on spring break. (Shop the pieces: utility jacket, graphic tee, black shorts, sneakers, tote)

Outfit 6 (above): I love how this white blouse instantly pulls together any look without being fussy. With black shorts it's perfect for patio dining, running errands or grabbing coffee with friends. (Shop the pieces: denim jacket, white blouse, black shorts, silver sandals, basket clutch)

Outfit 7 (above): How classic and easy is this look? I can not wait to recreate this when the weather warms up. This look is ideal for mom duties this spring - it's so comfortable and cute. (Shop the look: striped top, high waisted jeans, blush sandals, similar round bag

Outfit 8 (above): When the day calls for ALL THE THINGS. This outfit is just that. Pulled together enough for a casual day in the office or for meetings but also casual enough to stay comfortable all day. (Shop the pieces: utility jacket, white blouse, high waisted jeans, loafers, similar blush handbag)

Outfit 9 (above): A graphic tee and jeans is the EASIEST combo ever. If you are like a lot of moms you spend a lot of time sitting at kids sports once the weather turns nice. This look is perfect for warm-ish Saturdays sitting outside. (Shop the pieces: graphic tee, high waisted jeans, sneakers, black tote)

Outfit 10 (above): A striped dress is my go-to outfit for spring and summer. Paired with a pink cardigan and blush sandals it's perfect for a spring brunch, shopping or spring break activities. (Shop the pieces: pink cardigan, striped dress, sandals, basket bag)

Outfit 11 (above): A striped dress is great for any day time activities... but I also love pulling it on over a swimsuit for the beach or pool.  It doubles as a quick outfit AND a quick swim cover up. (Shop the pieces: striped dress, woven tote, silver sandals)

Outfit 12 (above): If you are heading out for spring break or need a summer date night look this dress with a denim jacket and slide sandals is perfect for dinner out with the family or with your husband. It's easy and comfortable! (Shop the pieces: striped dress, denim jacket, slide sandals, cross body bag)



 

site design by kiki co.