Monday, March 4, 2019

huge denim short try on session!

You guys! I am SUPER excited to bring you a post I have been working on for a few weeks behind the scenes here... it's the biggest and best denim short try on session EVER.  I tried 10 (ten!) denim short styles for you guys and I am giving my honest reviews on ALL of them... the good, the bad, the winners and the losers. It's ALL here! Denim shorts are one of the most difficult pieces to shop for in my own wardrobe - do you feel the same? They have to fit JUST right which is easier said than done. So with spring and spring break on the horizon I pulled together tons of styles, tried them ALL on and give my honest review of each! And as something NEW I also filmed try-on videos for each pair and the ENTIRE video will be uploaded to IGTV today on Instagram.  So head on over to IGTV (it's the television screen symbol on the top right of your Instagram feed) to see all the shorts in action!

Before we get started I wanted to tell you my trick when it comes to sizing and fit with denim shorts. I always go UP a size when trying on denim shorts. I've found that most denim shorts fit true to size, like a pair of skinny jeans might, but the fit I desire from shorts is VERY different from the fit I like in skinny jeans. I like a more relaxed and slouchier fit when it comes to denim shorts and I've found that going up a size usually gives me that slouchier fit.  I usually wear size 26 in denim and I will note what size I am wearing in each pair of shorts below. I will also give each pair a grade and then tell you what I like and don't like about each pair.  Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments - I'm happy to answer any questions you may still have!

Please also keep in mind that everyone's body type and personal preferences are different - this post explains why certain denim shorts work for me or don't work for me. It's my hope that this post will be helpful but it's likely not universal to everyone.  Also keep in mind that just because I didn't keep a pair doesn't always mean I didn't like them - I just can't keep them all!




Wearing size: 27
Overall grade: A-
Did I keep them? Yes.
Notes: I've been looking for a white pair of denim shorts for a few years and this pair is a winner for me.  This pair has tons of stretch making them very comfortable. Because they are so stretchy they won't feel "slouchy" but I'm okay with that. I will say that with most white denim or white pants the pockets do show through a bit - which is a definite pet peeve of mine - but it's almost unavoidable and for me doesn't make these less desirable because the fit is SO spot on.  These shorts are a mid-rise cut - which I have learned through this process is my favorite. Not too high, not too low - they come about an inch below my belly button. I give these an A- score - the minus is for the somewhat visible pockets. 


Wearing size: 27
Overall grade: B-
Did I keep them? No
Notes: Let me first list the things I like about these denim shorts. I loved the gentle distressing, the inseam is a great length, these denim shorts are stretchy, they are a great price and I like the whiskering near the pockets.  So that is a lot of check marks in the "pro" column for me.  The cons were that the high waist on these made them feel SO tight. Even going up a size they felt super tight.  And since I originally tried these on I even went back for the 28 (because of all the things I liked about them) and the 28 was just huge on me. So the sizing is a little inconsistent - that's the reason I am giving them a B-. There is a lot to love about this pair, but I just couldn't get the fit right.

Wearing size: 4 
Overall Grade: A
Did I keep them?  Yes.
Notes: Here is what I love about this pair... I love the subtle distressing, the mid-rise cut for that slouchy fit I like, these also have a great stretch to them and are super budget friendly. I ended up cutting some of these extra strings off because they felt overboard - but FYI, the come out of the box this way. Overall I think these are a great everyday, mom-friendly pair of denim shorts.

Wearing size: 27
Overall Grade: C
Did I keep them? No.
Notes: So there are quite a few things I liked about them including the pockets not showing through much at all, I like the nice neat hem at the bottom with no distressing and I liked the tiny side slit on the sides which I think is really cute on denim shorts. For me this pair was way too low rise making it feel like I just had a tiny strip of fabric over my hips and the sizing on this brand again is way off. This is a size 27 and it felt TINY on me. 

Wearing size: 4
Overall Grade: A
Did I keep them? Yes.
Notes: Again there is a lot to love about these shorts including their super budget friendly price, their slouchier fit with a mid-rise cut, they are quite stretchy making them very comfortable and the gentle distressing which is hard to see here but looks great in person. I have zero complaints about this pair.

Wearing size: 4
Overall grade: A-
Did I keep them? Maybe.
Notes: This pair is almost exactly like the previous pair of denim shorts above. They are simple and easy to wear with plenty of stretch and are a great length. I'm still deciding if I will keep them because I have a similar pair. The only thing making these an A- is that the cuffs felt a little bulky. 

Wearing size: 26
Overall Grade: A+
Did I keep them? Yes.
Notes: High rise denim is definitely a big trend this season and this pair I really liked. They were instantly comfortable, they have a great length and a simple cuff. I tried these in both the 27 and the 26 and these definitely run a bit big so go with your true size or down a size even.  This pair is really classic and I can see myself wearing them all summer.

Wearing size: 27
Overall grade: B+
Did I keep them? No.
Notes: If you like ultra distressed denim shorts this pair is for you! The distressing is all reinforced so you don't have to worry about it ripping further and I will say I do really love the distressing on these shorts, I think it's very well done.  I also love the low rise which gives it that nice slouchy feel I like, especially when you size up one size.  For me this is a "no" because I already own a pair that has quite a bit of distressing. But in general this is a great pair!

Wearing Size: 27
Overall Grade: A-
Did I keep them? No.
Notes: This is a pair of classic high-waisted, all cotton denim shorts. I really loved the distressing at the hem on this pair, which was unlike other pairs I tried, and the high rise cut was very flattering. This pair is all cotton, so there is no stretch making even the 27 feel quite tight, so I didn't keep this pair. I'm contemplating going back for the next size up because I really love the denim color and the unique distressing on this pair.

Wearing size: 27
Overall Grade: C
Did I keep them? No.
Notes: For this pair I wanted to compare a pair of "high end/designer" denim compared to some of the more budget friendly options I tried above. I have to say the sizing was just ALL wrong on these. The high waist was incredibly high (above my belly button) and still SO tight with even sizing up a size. I did like the whiskering and the side slits on each side but the cut was so weird it made these all wrong. For denim shorts I think that the budget friendly options work just as well as the expensive pairs and since my summer clothes tend to get a lot of abuse (sweat, lots of washing, sitting in the grass, etc) I prefer something less expensive that I just won't worry about.


I would love to hear your feedback on any of these shorts? Any questions? Thinking of snagging a pair? If you do find a pair you love here too - let me know! And again, don't forget to pop on over to IGTV today to see the full try on video of each pair!




 

site design by kiki co.