Wednesday, October 1, 2014

the damage… september, 2014!

At the end of each month this year I am planning to pause to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. I call these posts "the damage." Each month my target budget is $300 and only 5 pieces of clothing or shoes. For 2014 I chose 5 items because I am working on making my closet a more curated place and also to try to put an end to the constant closet clean outs where loads of clothes get sent to charity - but I have failed pretty miserably at the 5 things goal. It was a lofty goal I experimented with this year and I guess you win some you lose some, but this was in the "lose" category for sure. Oh well, just keeping it real here for you gals!

 For some this budget may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break the bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

September was a bad month for shopping for me… I came away with a few great pieces but I mostly did my shopping online this month - which isn't necessarily out of character for me - with little to no luck. I returned a TON of stuff that didn't fit or I didn't like - which is very out of character for me.  I hate returning stuff and rarely, rarely do. I like to make final decisions in the fitting room.  Not only is it a huge pain to run to a million stores (again) to return or pack up boxes to return I always just feel disappointed doing it.  I hate to send back a gorgeous jacket or pair of jeans when they don't fit.  So overall it was a weird shopping month. I feel like I am a little behind on my fall wardrobe because of it.

Let's take a look at the pieces I did buy and keep this month…

Black Drapey Sweater, LOFT, $54.50 with coupon $29.50 (worn here)
White Lace Front Sweatshirt, LOFT, $59.50 on promotion for $29.50 (worn here)
Grey Jeweled Sweatshirt, LOFT, $54.50 on promotion for $29.50 (worn here)
Grey Button Back 3/4 Sweater, LOFT, $44.50 on promotion for $29.50 (worn here)
Space-Dye Blouson Tank Dress, LOFT, $54.50 on promotion for $21.80 (worn here)
Scarf, Zara, $29.90

Total Spent: $169.70 (saved: $127.70)

Thoughts on the budget: Obviously when shopping doesn't go as planned and there are returns it can be good to be under budget!  And last month I was quite over budget - so it does even the budget out a bit.  I am thankful for that.  LOFT always has great promotions and I took advantage of them this month for sure!  There are a few stores where it never makes sense to buy an item full price… LOFT is one of those, they have so many great deals.

Thoughts on the pieces: I didn't mean to buy only from LOFT this month (with the exception of the scarf). But I really love their offerings lately.  It's no surprise that I am into neutrals lately and this shopping month proved that as well.  I am sure you gals will ask, so these are the items I returned: these boots, this jacket, these jeans, this jacket.  These items would have definitely put me over budget and for October I am deciding if I should re-order in different sizing or not.  Stay tuned!

Do you share your monthly shopping budget on your blog? I would love to read it - share in the comments!


 

site design by kiki co.