Thursday, April 25, 2013

STYLE BASICS: dresses!

I am having a major 'aha' moment with dresses lately. (and this is the part where you nod your head and wonder what took me so long!) I honestly don't know why they are seeming to draw me in more this season than in seasons past. But whatever the reason, I'm hooked.

All the shapes! All the sizes! All the colors! Plus they pair perfectly with a few of my absolute favorite closet staples like blazers, jean jackets, bold necklaces and sandals.  So at this point my closet is in a "just add a dress" phase... so add a dress (or two!) I certainly will.

Here I laid out the various cuts of dresses of the season and did some research to define exactly what makes these dresses special.  Turns out a dress isn't just a dress... they each have defining characterics that make them unique.  (BTW, I'm thinking of making this a (maybe) new series... STYLE BASICS.  Thoughts?!) Do you have a specific silhouette that you are most drawn to? I would love to hear!

name originates from trapezoid (wider at the bottom than the top)
pairs well with a bold necklace and kitten heel sandals

a classic cut with a full skirt that complements pear shapes
pairs well with a straw bag & sunglasses for a Saturday around town

a simple button front top extended to a dress
pairs well with a bright belt and bangle bracelets for a casual day in the office

a barely there dress designed for optimal coolness (and sun exposure) on hot summer days
pairs well with a sunny day and sandals, minimal accessorizing is key

a light weight and loose dress with minimal tailoring for a simple look
perfectly worn over your swim suit for a beach day or with wedge sandals for a summer party

hangs loose from the shoulders with a straight cut through the waist
pairs well with a blazer and pumps for the office 

a dress with a hem line that dips from high to low
perfectly pairs with a summer hat and flip flops for a casual summer day

the hem line of this dress nearly reaches the floor, universally flattering for all body types 
(petites should wear a wedge or heel with maxi dresses)
as I've said before, it's the perfect grab-and-go dress for any summer day, dress it up or down.




 

site design by kiki co.