Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dressing Room Diaries: J.Crew Spring!

A week or so ago I finally found some time (and energy, after being sick!) to head on over to the mall the other day to do some shopping. I made a bee-line straight for J.Crew because I wanted to check out the Tartine satchel in person and look at a few other things.  Sadly, my local J.Crew didn't carry the Tartine bag  (I ended up ordering that online) so while I was there I had some fun trying a few of their new spring pieces.


Click "read more" to get the full scoop of what I tried on and liked/didn't like!




The lighting in the J.Crew fitting rooms is horrendous... so excuse that right off the bat. This Silk Collar Tee at first didn't jive with me. But I have been wanting to try a peter pan collar for a while now and haven't so I gave it a go. After a minute I pictured it with some white jeans or some distressed jeans (to toughen it up a bit) and flats or heels and decided I loved it.  I am very excited to style this for spring!

This double square tee is pretty rad. First I love that it's not super tight (love that tees are going in a more flowy direction lately!) and I think it would be just adorable with some sandals and cut off shorts. It has a very boho-preppy summer vibe. I wasn't wild about the price but the fabric was really, really soft and in general this tee is a winner.  I didn't buy it but I think J.Crew is having a tee sale this week, I highly recommend it!

I have been wanting a t-shirt striped dress for a few seasons but every time I try one on they look like a potato sack on me. This Shirttail Striped Dress was the exception. I sized down one size, which helped and this nice thick fabric doesn't cling but almost has a nice heavy drape to it. I can't wait to wear this on spring break (it's not going to be super warm where we are going) and for the remainder of spring really.  I visualize it on it's own with a fun necklace, with a denim jacket and boat shoes, or with a belt and flats.

The Amie maxi dress is a seasonal standby at J.Crew and I've always wanted to try one on. I should have sized down one here, which I didn't but that's because I didn't really love the stripes. They are a little too optic for me.  The best qualities of this dress are the super soft almost silky fabric, the tie at the waist and the pockets. I will likely buy this dress at some point, just not in this pattern.

I originally went in to the store wanting to buy this Western Denim top. Every time I see it online I swoon. In person it was a HUGE flop. It's really stiff and thick (the stiffness would break in I am sure though) and really short on me! I could hardly tuck it in. I was disappointed, but so glad I tried it before buying it.

Instead I found this Boy Shirt in Chambray and loved it. It was $20 cheaper than the Western Denim (score!) and although these pictures are really blurry (sorry!), it fit a lot better.  Slimmer through the torso and long enough to tuck or not tuck.  Also, the perfect thickness for layering.  And the collar pops perfectly - had to check that out! (I can't find this exact top online, but it's like this one)

So there you have it... I didn't try on a ton of stuff, but just a few things that caught my eye for spring.  

 

site design by kiki co.