Friday, March 5, 2010

dinner party on a dime...

There are a group of gals I just love having over for little dinner parties! We always do potluck, so the pressure of the food isn't just on me and then we have fun trying out a wide variety of dishes...

I always like to choose a theme or feel for the night to keep it fun... past themes I have done are pink/green and summer/country. For this past dinner party I wanted to use the best of what I already had around the house...

When I started brainstorming I knew I wanted to use the black napkins that I had left over from a different event this winter. Then I thought it would be fun to add my shiny red finials.



From there the black and red theme evolved to include candy centerpieces... who doesn't love candy? So I hit up a local specialty food store for fun red and black/chocolate candy.



And lastly I had the amazing idea of using playing cards as the table runner. I used three whole packs to cover the center of the table (all of which I had hanging around the house!).



The only real "cost" was the candy... which came in at about $10. Now that is a dinner party for less, huh? Fun was had by all... I thought maybe an impromptu card game may have arisen, but no, we were all way to busy chatting!

ps. That's a new dining table (well, new to me... actually a craigslist find) I didn't want to show too much of my new dining room which has been in the works since the New Year... I hope to unveil in next week!

QG9YT2YTVZ35

 

site design by kiki co.