Thursday, May 21, 2020

teen and tween skincare!

A popular question in my Instagram DMs is what skincare my teens use... and today they are both dishing on their favorites!  Getting safe skincare and makeup into my kids hands is REALLY important to me. With their still developing bodies and knowing what I know about the largely unregulated beauty industry I know I can trust the ingredients that Beautycounter uses to keep them safe against potentially harmful ingredients. Teaching them about ingredients in products now will hopefully lead to a lifetime of making good choices when it comes to skincare and personal care. I care about the food they put into their bodies... so it's a natural fit to also care about the ingredients they put ON their body.

Of course there is still some questionable lip glosses, glitter eyeshadow and body sprays floating around our house... but my goal is to have MOST of the products they use be safe for them.

Safety is important but the products also have to WORK. I have the same motto for myself and so it carries on to the kids too. Teens have unique skincare needs as their hormones flare and their sometimes questionable diets teens have (pizza for every meal? Why not!?!?) can make their skin worse.  Keep in mind, that teen breakouts are inevitable and it takes a lot of consistency to completely clear them up. My son does a pretty good job on his own, but sometimes needs some reminders. The key is just getting them in the habit and letting them know what will work so they can figure it out on their own. I can't eradicate every zit or breakout, or completely remove sugar and dairy from his diet (two HUGE culprits for teen breakouts) but I can arm him with the right products and even if he only uses it 50% of the time - it's better than nothing!

Let's take a look at my kids' favorites. Also right now NEW Beautycounter customers can get 20% off by signing up here for emails!

age: 15 (and a half!)
skincare concerns: breakouts
what my son uses:
why he likes it: The countercontrol wash has a great minty scent and a little exfoliation too. It's great for treating existing acne and working to combat new acne. If his skin is feeling overly dry a tiny bit of the counterman moisturizer works great. It's oil free and fragrance free so it won't irritate acne further. For keeping breakouts under control the overnight peel works great (when he uses it! I remind him a few times a week, but it can be used everyother night) - it's packed with glycolic acid, salicylic acid and lactic acid that is great for fighting acne both existing and future.  



age: 12 (almost 13!)
skincare concerns: dryness 
my my daughter uses:
(she also added that she loves this eye cream and this serum when she has time to use it or when she remembers to use it!)
why she likes it: With dry skin that flares up from time to time my daughters skin is really sensitive to ALL products. So for her the more gentle the better. She really loves the new counterstart face wash because it's gentle and it removes makeup if she is wearing any. Then the counterstart moisturizer has been great for her face too and has really helped with skin bumps from dryness.  Since "glowy" skin is in right now she goes for the eye creamserum and countermatch moisturizer when she wants to be extra glowy. 





 

site design by kiki co.