Monday, September 23, 2019

fall transitional try on session!

Today I have a few fall transitional try on pieces for you... transitional pieces are those pieces that can be worn for more than one season. So if it's still feeling like summer where you live you can wear these pieces now and as the weather cools off you can continue to wear them with an extra layer.

Always keep in mind with try on sessions that I don't keep everything! I treat these just like I do trying pieces on in the store... I choose a few pieces, try them on, share my honest thoughts on them and then keep what works. Just like in a real fitting room, there are always a few surprises (like: Wow, this looks way better on me than on the hanger - or vice versa!) and I rarely (or never) walk away with ALL the pieces.

I often get asked how I decide what to keep and the answer to that is kind of a moving target. Do I LOVE it? Does it fit well? Do I have a space in my closet for it or do I already own something similar? Even though I talk about clothes for my job and really, really love clothes... I don't really want to own a ton of clothes. So I make my decision very carefully.  I like to show you even the items I don't buy - because it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like them or they aren't great pieces. The piece just might not fit my current needs. But they might be great for you!

And since I work to buy items that will be versatile in my wardrobe I thought I would show you a few ways to wear each piece so you could get a feel for if I piece would be versatile in your own wardrobe. I never want to buy a piece and then not know how to style it or only wear it once. Sure it happens from time to time, but it really bugs me when it does! I want to make wise decisions with my clothing budget.

Let's take a look at the pieces!

above: black ruffle neck blouse (go down one size, also available in other colors)
This blouse has ADORABLE details and I love this feminine look that is going on for fall right. You can see it more up close on my Instagram Stories or online. Plus it's really comfortable. Some blouses feel constricting to me (am I alone?). This top definitely runs a little big, I am in an XS here and it fits perfect. So I suggest going down one size.  I think you can style it more trendy with high waist straight jeans and flats or more traditional with skinny jeans, ankle boots and a utility jacket and it looks great both way!

above: puff sleeve scoop neck tee (runs a touch small, you may want to go to the next size up if you are between sizes also available in other colors)
This little puff sleeve tee is so cute for late summer and it will layer really well for fall too. The puff sleeve is so delicate and I find the elbow sleeve length to be super flattering. This top has a fitted cut, I went with my usual size but if you are between sizes you may want to go up one. The model online is wearing it less fitted so that works too. It's cute to wear now with distressed jeans and mules. Or layer with a Moto jacket (or similar) and sneakers for cooler days.

above: white scoop neck tee (true to size, also available in other colors)
I love wearing white tees all year long and a few of mine were stained and gross from summer - I wear them a lot! So it was time for a fresh white tee!  I love the scoop neck on this one and the longer sleeve - plus it's under $20! You can wear it with camo jeans and loafers for warm-ish days or use it to layer all fall long with a sweater blazerhigh waist straight jeans and leopard loafers. But obviously, a white tee can be worn a million ways - you probably don't need much help there. 

above: floral blouse (true to size)
You all might know that I am obsessed with this blouse already. I pretty much immediately put it on the minute I opened the box. It's so beautiful in person and just perfect for this time of year. It's super lightweight so you can get that fall look even on warm days and I've found it looks good with almost everything! You can wear it with high waist straight jeans and ankle boots (similar) or in a more traditional look with a utility jacket and skinny jeans.  This blouse would be gorgeous with white jeans or even denim shorts for a boho look. 

above: camo jacket (very oversized, I suggest going down one or even two sizes)
I absolutely LOVE this camo jacket. It's just GORGEOUS in person with fun stitching details, a frayed hem and really nice thick material. But it's way oversized. You can probably tell from the photos (even though I tried to make it seem normal) that I'm swimming in this. Especially in the shoulders, but really in the whole thing. I love it though and will likely reorder in a new size. I love it layered over a sweater with skinny blue jeans and sneakers (similar or similar less expensive) or more dressed up with black jeans and flats.  I think you could have a lot of fun styling this for fall though with dresses or tanks and more (maybe it should appear in a future "6 ways to style"?!?!?)


 

site design by kiki co.