Thursday, May 2, 2019

6 ways to style high-waist jeans!

I'm back with another "6 ways to style" post today! This has quickly become one of the most popular series around here! If you haven't looked through the archives recently, you should! There are SO many fun 6 ways to style posts I've done like leggings, jeans & a white tee, a little black dress, a graphic tee, or a chambray dress (you can see them ALL here). I love pulling this type of post together because it's an instant reminder of how shopping our own closets or getting creative with what we already own can really result in SO many outfits.  I LOVE to buy new clothes... don't get me wrong! But always buying new, new, new isn't sustainable for most people (including me!) and it diminishes the pieces I already own and LOVE.  I believe in buying items I truly, truly love and then mixing and matching those pieces as much as possible to create looks that feel fresh everyday.

Today I am styling high waist jeans or "mom jeans".  This trend is HOT for spring and summer and will likely stick around for a while. There is no way I am ditching my skinny jeans but high waist jeans can be a fun new style to add to your denim rotation.  High waist jeans or "mom" jeans are usually defined as a straight cut through the leg, a pronounced high waist/rise and usually they are 100% cotton so they have more of a classic denim feel to them.  An ankle length is usually common with mom-jeans too. I am about 5'4 so they come right to my ankles. They definitely look and feel different from skinny jeans and I have found that the look/feel has had to grow on me a bit. At first I was so-so on the cut/look but now I am loving it as a modern trend to incorporate into my weekly outfits here and there. Of course they can be dressed up or down depending on your style or your mood and here I styled them six ways that I will be wearing them for spring and summer. 

You can find this style of denim at all price points so today I featured TWO pairs. The first is a distressed pair at a slightly higher price point and the second is without distressing at a budget-friendly price point.  Okay - let's get to it and check out some fun ways to style this piece!  I will have a full video try on of these looks on Instagram Stories and IGTV later today so check back if you want to see the outfits in action!


~~~


Outfit 1
above: The perfect mom-on-the-go look for spring! This outfit is so easy to recreate with any graphic tee and sandals. I LIVE in my Birkenstock sandals in the spring and summer for carting kids around and running errands. Add a nice big tote and this is my spring mom uniform! shop the pieces: jeans, graphic tee, Birkenstocks, tote

Outfit 2
above: This has been my go-to date night look lately. I'm not exaggerating that I've worn this look at least twice (maybe 3?) over the past month. This linen sweater is PERFECT for this cool spring weather and I love it with these jeans and loafers. shop the pieces: jeans, sweater, loafers, similar tote

Outfit 3
above: I love this more feminine and "dressed up" look - it's perfect for brunch or a casual Mother's Day or even lunch with friends. The ruffle top and wedge espadrilles are PERFECT for spring. shop the pieces: jeans, ruffle top, wedges, basket clutch

Outfit 4
above: This is a great go-to mom look for spring. And so, so easy. A striped top, some sneakers and voila - you are out the door looking cute and trendy with minimal effort! Whenever I try a new trend (like 'mom jeans') I love to pair the trendier piece with a tried-and-true piece like stripes. It's a gentle way to ease into a trend. shop the pieces: jeans, striped top, similar bucket bag, sneakers


Outfit 5
above: I wore almost this exact outfit to a dinner event recently. I love this look! The black blouse tied at the waist works perfectly with the high waist jeans. Then add a little bamboo clutch and leopard sandals and it's so on trend while still being very comfortable. shop the pieces: jeans, top - runs big, size down 1 or 2 sizes, clutch, sandals


Outfit 6
above: I love a little cardigan outfit. Who doesn't? It's easy to throw on in the morning and is perfect for cool spring mornings that turn into warm afternoons. I added some gold sandals and this is another super easy mom-on-the-go look for spring! shop the pieces: jeans, cardigan, similar tank, sandals, bag


 

site design by kiki co.