Monday, January 21, 2019

my everyday style: a suede jacket and thoughts on authenticity!

There is so much talk of "authenticity" online these days... bloggers especially get a bad rap for being fake or sales-y or only only showing the highlight reel, etc etc. This blog has been authentic since the day I started it.  I have always worked to stay as authentic as possible.  My goal is to share items I love, share recipes I love, share how I am doing life and maybe you want to follow along. Maybe all this rings true to you too. I looked up the definition of "authentic" and it's defined by words like trustworthy, genuine, original and honest.  NO surprise the opposite of authentic is FAKE. I personally thing PERFECT is also the opposite of authentic.

Lately this whole authenticity thing is weighing heavy on me because everyone online "demands" it and when bloggers are authentic and do show their flaws and imperfections they are immediately slammed for it.  What gives? Do you want perfect because it's comfortable for you? Or authentic where things might get a little messy or complicated from time to time? There can be NO in between.

My beef with the whole "authenticity" conversation online is that while so, so many of us are striving to be 100% authentic online and always have been - a few loud mouths always like to come in and say we are doing it "wrong".  To some, spending $$$$ on a purse or shoes while only spending $ on a top is "offensive" or getting Botox while still trying to use clean beauty products is "wrong" or loving your kids but still be annoyed by them at times makes you a "bad parent".  You see for me, these are examples of me being my MOST authentic. Not fake or pretending like I have it figured out or that everything in my life makes perfect sense. It's me saying THIS IS WHO I ACTUALLY AM.

Listen here people... authenticity is MESSY.  Perfection is EASY, but authenticity has to allow for imperfections, contradictions and the occasional BAD day or misstep.  There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG when it comes to being authentic.  You don't have to agree with me... but I will not apologize for who I am or change who I am to make others feel more comfortable. I will say that again, this blog and me, myself will NOT change because the internet doesn't like it. I am complicated and multi-faceted and a hot mess. I don't have my ducks in a row, I don't pretend to and I probably never will.  That's not what life is about. I will say it once again so those in the back can hear: AUTHENTICITY is MESSY. So you can keep telling me you don't like me or the choices I make or how I dress.  OR you can show me, and maybe yourself in the process, a little grace and realize we are all human.  We are all complicated and messy.  How about we are gracious and kind too?

~~~

Now let's talk about this outfit... so I've been wanting a suede jacket for SO long! I've purchased a few but always ended up returning them for fit. I couldn't find that unicorn suede jacket.  But when I saw this option in a longer cut I immediately fell in love with it. I love that it hits a little longer on the torso than many other options I have previously found. It seems to suit my body and style better - even though those cropped suede jackets look SO cute on so many bloggers. I mean, that's how this obsession started in the first place!  I paired it with a simple cashmere sweater (this one is on sale!) and cropped jeans. I've shown these cropped jeans before in a try-on session but just to reiterate: for under $70 they are SO, SO good. I love the high waist and slight distressing. Plus, I mean that price is great! I found them to be true to size.  And the cherry on top is of course my Golden Goose sneakers... which are making their premiere here on the blog but have been popping up plenty on my Instagram.  Listen, I know that buying "distressed" sneakers for a way too much money is NOT everyone's cup of tea. I had been stalking them online for months and months (much like my Chloe Marcie bag) and when my husband asked what I wanted for Christmas I said: NOTHING. Nothing except these sneakers. So that's what I got. Nary a candle or candy cane or anything sat under the tree for me this year besides these shoes.  And in the end I LOVE them and wear them a ton. So I'm super happy with the purchase.  I will likely do a full review of them here on the blog... so stay tuned!









Outfit Details:
Suede Jacket (I'm wearing a small... or shop more BlankNYC jackets)
Cashmere Sweater - on sale for under $60!
Similar Bag (here or here)




If you are looking to get the Golden Goose/statement sneaker look for less... here are some other less expensive options! All of them are VERY cute!




 

site design by kiki co.