Wednesday, May 30, 2018

my daily skincare routine!

This is a post that has been requested SO many times and I finally got my ducks in a row to bring it to you! I am constantly getting questions about what skincare I use and when and why... so this post will break it ALL down for you!  Feel free to chime in with questions in the comments and I will do my best to answer them all.

I love skincare like nothing else! Skin care has definitely become a passion of mine over the last 3-4 years likely corresponding with my own personal aging process. As I found my skin aging I became super interested in how to slow it down, how to treat my skin right and found many products along the way that work and don't work for me. If you are just starting out with figuring out your own skincare routine... don't be overwhelmed by mine!  You don't need a million steps, although I've found it works for me... but instead pay careful attention to what your skin needs and what works and what doesn't.  It's only been by a lot of trial and error that I have landed at this routine.  Adding just ONE product to your lineup can make a huge difference!  If you are wanting to add to your routine and don't know what you need/want I suggest adding something you've never tried before or trying something that you are running low on right now (if your eye cream is almost empty it's a great time to try a new one!).

Also I like to note that YES, I invest in my skincare. A lot of these products are quite pricey. But I figure I only get ONE face and I'm stuck with it for a while, so I don't mind investing here.  Also, where applicable I will give options for less expensive items if I know of any. And lastly, many of these products are so potent that just a tiny little bit each day will add up to a huge difference.  So it's a long term investment.


A.M. Routine 
(note: make sure each step dries before continuing on to the next step)
Step 1: I cleanse with the Juice Beauty acne wash (which you can see is almost empty!). I've long suffered from adult acne (you can see my tips on that here) and I've used this for years and love it. It doesn't remove makeup so I use it first thing in the morning instead of at night.
Step 2: I recently heard about double cleansing to reduce chances of acne and signs of aging. So after I wash my face I do a quick swipe of this Bioderma Micellar cleanser on a cotton pad over my face. 
Step 3: Then I wipe the Lotion P50 all over my face. It tingles a bit and leaves the skin a little pink but so far I have found my skin just GLOWS from using this. It's an investment but I bought the smallest size and it's lasting me forever so far. You only need a tiny bit.  This product is a chemical exfoliant so your skin will take some time getting used to it. Use it at night once or twice a week and work up from there. (I've heard the Pixi Glow is a less expensive alternative)
Step 4: CE Ferulic is a cult classic that many professionals swear by. Adding vitamin C to your routine will give your skin a great glow and protect against aging immediately and in the long run.  This product gives me the most sticker shock, but it's also one that has made the most difference with my skin. 
Step 5: Hylauronic Acid is an important step in my skincare. I love this product, but there are lots on the market. This is a little heavy for me in the summer, so I sometimes will do it at night instead of the day. I notice a reduction in my wrinkles around my laugh lines and crows feet when I use this constantly.
Step 6: Eye cream... ALWAYS use an eye cream. No matter your age! Your eyes tend to show your age first and usually just need some extra moisture to keep looking young. I love this one, it's simple and works.
Step 7: This serum makes my skin super soft and smells amazing! 
Step 8: I always finish with sunscreen. I've been using this SPF moisturizer for years and years. If it isn't broke, why fix it!?!?  Sometimes in the summer I will pass on this extra layer if it feels heavy and go straight to my tinted moisturizer instead which also has SPF.

P.M. Routine
(note: make sure each step dries before continuing on to the next step)
Step 1: This facial cleanser is another I've used forever. It removes makeup the best I've found and leaves my skin super soft. So I don't dare change it up! It works too good.
Step 2: Again, I double cleanse with the micellar water.
Step 3: A retinol product is absolutely necessary as you age. It reduces fine lines, help keep acne and breakouts away and overall improves the texture of your skin.
Step 4: More eye cream! Never skip a day!
Step 5: My favorite serum again!
Step 6: If needed, I use this night cream.  Often times in the summer I won't need the extra step, but I definitely do in the winter when my skin is more parched

Here is a run down of the treatment masks I use... I usually try to mask once or twice a week depending on how my skin is feeling.

Juice Beauty Peel, this is an affordable and effective peel that I really love.  When I am feeling break-out prone or experiencing dull skin I go to this one.
Beautycounter Cleansing Balm, this stuff is MAGIC when your face is dry. I use this a lot in the winter, but even still in the summer if my skin is feeling dry or lifeless. I also used this to recuperate after a professional peel when my skin was peeling for 3-4 days and it was amazing. 
Charcoal Mask, this mask is perfect for clearing pores and tightening them as well. I try to use this when I feel break outs coming on or when my skin feels extra oily. And let's be honest, it's pretty fun to have a black mask on your face.
Perricone MD Chloro Plasma, this is another product for when my face is feeling break-out-prone, it has an amazing spa like scent and I find my skin instantly feels better.
TLC Babyface by Drunk Elephant, this is by far my favorite mask right now. It literally makes your face feel like baby skin and it feels super tight the next day. This is about as close to a professional peel that you can get at home.

A quick note on safe skincare/beauty... I try whenever possible to research the heck out of my products to make sure that their ingredients are as safe as possible while still being effective.  You gals know I love my Beautycounter and use it as much as possible.  But brands like Arbonne, Juice Beauty and Drunk Elephant are very 'safe' as well!

And one last thing... the post is a little outdated, but mostly this is still my makeup routine if you are curious. 

            
SaveSave

 

site design by kiki co.