Friday, May 11, 2018

MORE easy meal ideas!

I've got another installment of meal ideas for you on the blog today! If you are new around here or just want a recap... you can find ALL my healthy and easy meal ideas HERE.  These aren't so much recipes as they are just really easy & healthy ideas for what to make for dinner for a busy family.  If your house is like mine we are always running a million different directions come dinner time and I just need simple meals that don't take a ton of planning that I can get on the table quick. Oh and they have to be healthy and the whole family has to like them. NO pressure! Some nights I win, some nights it's the Jimmy Johns drive thru. Either way - I hope these meals make your upcoming meal planning easy and delicious.  Don't forget to check the archives for more ideas!

Since we started the FWTFL program on January 1 of this year and saw really great weight loss results we keep to the program as much as we possibly can. We aren't perfect but we've found that the weight has stayed off for good even when we slip up from time to time.  If you want to hear more about my weight loss journey this year you can see that full post here! I just can't recommend this program enough and if you are thinking about jumping in, the next program starts in a little over a week - so now is the time! You can see all the program details and FAQ here.  So with that in mind we focus on meals that are macro balanced (meaning focusing on the breakdown of fats/proteins/carbs in our meals) - you will learn all about this with the FWTFL - it sounds complicated, but it's really easy!  Here are some of the meals we have been enjoying lately... they are quick, delicious and in our house, the whole family approves - which isn't an easy feat!


(above) Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
This is a super easy meal to whip together and also makes great leftovers. I usually make a double batch and either freeze the leftovers or have them in the fridge for a few days for lunches or snacks. My kids LOVE this, and so do I! I simply sauté the ground turkey with olive oil, one tablespoon of minced garlic, one tablespoon of minced ginger.  Then when the turkey starts to cook down I added a half cup of shredded carrots and a half cup of finely sliced leeks.  Once it all comes together I added about 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.  Then we serve them in romaine boats! It's really delicious and if your kids don't care for the romaine boats/romaine leafs the meat tastes great in tortillas too!


(above) Breakfast for Dinner
Our entire family LOVES breakfast for dinner. It's just SO easy and delicious. Since finding these Kodiak Cakes pancakes mix that are fairly high on protein (these have 8g per serving or try the Power Cakes have a whopping 14g - unfortunately my store was out of them while I was shopping, but from now on I'm buying them here) we don't feel so guilty splurging on this yummy dinner. We usually add eggs and fruit and find that this is a pretty macro-balanced meal.  Of course, sausage and bacon are always a welcome addition too!


(above) Salmon & Salad
I'll be honest, this is our go-to meal at least once a week. I love that I can easily keep salmon on hand in the freezer and then just add a bagged salad (again, we eat these A LOT!).  I know I've mentioned it before but we just LOVE this cauliflower fried rice. If you stir fry that while you are baking your salmon with a little soy sauce over top - it makes a great combo. But just salmon and salad makes a great quick meal. 


(above) Peanut Shrimp and Broccoli Bowls
We just LOVE this shrimp from Trader Joe's but any shrimp will do!  I like to sauté the shrimp with a few tablespoons of the peanut sauce while I am roasting the broccoli in the oven (usually at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes).  These microwavable rice bags are SUPER handy and can be found in the freezer section of Trader Joe's - but any rice will do.  Then I will layer the rice in a bowl, topped with the broccoli, then the shrimp and then you can put a little dollop of the peanut sauce on top of the whole thing.  This is another meal that makes REALLY good leftovers - so don't be afraid to double this recipe either. I love to have it for lunch the next day. 




 

site design by kiki co.