Tuesday, December 29, 2015

10 great wardrobe investments from 2015!

Over the years my goal has increasingly become to invest wisely into my wardrobe in order to have a closet that is well curated and easy to wear on a daily basis.  As a work at home mom I gravitate toward the perfect balance between solid basics and key investment pieces - together these make for a wardrobe that mixes and matches easily, thus making getting dressed really easy each morning.  We all want to look effortlessly pulled together.  And so far this formula is what works for me.  If you are still trying to find that perfect balance or formula for your own wardrobe… take heart - it takes some time to pull together.  It doesn't happen over night - so keep honing in on what you love and it will all come together.

As I look back on 2015 and the purchases I made for my closet it's no surprise that the pieces that have had the most impact are those that I consciously invested in.  Sure the tops or sweaters I bought on "super sale" are still fun to have around… but in general the pieces I found, loved, contemplated (stalked!) and then invested in are the ones that make a lasting impact on my wardrobe overall.  It's never easy to pull the trigger on a $100, $150 or $200 piece (and I STILL try to get those items on sale when I can) BUT in the end I have found it's worth it.  They are the pieces I go back to again and again. They are the pieces I can't wait to wear again the minute I take them off. They are the pieces that are less likely to end up in the Goodwill pile after a few months.  Each and every time.

Here I rounded up my favorite purchases for 2015… after I compiled them all I realized that most were investment pieces.  Coincidence!? I think not!  Read on to see what my favorite investment purchases of 2015 were… and also some similar less expensive options too if that is what your budget allows at the moment.

1. (below) This sweater cape was an instant hit in my closet (in fact I'm wearing it as I type today!)  It's super warm and the zippers make it easy enough to wear all day.  Plus, I had a cape on my wish list for a while - so when I found this, I knew it was the "one". (similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


2. (below) These d'orsay style flats were by far my favorite shoe of the year.  I had made the mistake of buying a less expensive pair that wasn't as high quality.  Which is a great way to try out a new trend, but in the end was a waste of money because they didn't last.  This is a perfect example of when I should have bought the quality piece first, even if the price is higher so that in the end you don't pay twice for them. (or similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


3. (below) A chambray blazer hadn't really been on my radar… but when I saw this one I knew I had to have it.  Really any color or fabric of this Regent style blazer is a winner (a few are even on sale right now!).  You can never go wrong with a classic blazer. (or similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


3. (below) I had long stalked the Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C. cross-body bag.  This was a classic example of me putting off investing in a piece I knew I loved.  When this pretty lady became mine I didn't know what I had been waiting for - I use this bag all the time. It's a great mom on the go bag. (or similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


4. (below) I know I talk endlessly about investing in gorgeous (and warm!) winter gear… but I really mean it. If you live in the Northern states, it's absolutely necessary to have warm gear that you also LOVE.  Because it's going to get a lot of wear.  This coat definitely fits the bill (and big kudos to my husband for splurging on this baby as a gift to me). (or similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


5. (below) A trench coat had been on my wish list (again) for quite some time, but I was having a hard time finding a style that didn't overwhelm my petite-ish frame.  I'm so glad I found this one - which is on sale right now!… it's perfect. (or I love this one!)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


6. (below) I'm not really one for taking risks with my wardrobe, but this fall I fell in love with these army green twill pants (similar to what I am wearing).  They are the perfect casual alternative to jeans.  (or similar less expensive)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger

7. (below) My leather jacket (similar to the one I am wearing) is the 2015 MVP in my closet.  I wear this baby all.the.time. It's perfect for layering over tees and tanks for cool summer nights or with sweaters and scarfs for the winter.   This jacket was easily the best money spent all year. (or less expensive option)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


8. (below) Black jeans were my jam in 2015.  I have a few pairs now and they are in constant rotation.  I find them super flattering for days I perhaps feel a little blah - and really they go with EVERYTHING in my closet.  Super yay for black jeans in 2015! 
west michigan style fashion mom blogger


10. (below) A striped dress (or three) will always have a place in my heart and closet.  I wore them in the spring with jackets, all summer long to hot soccer games or over my swimsuit to the pool and this fall I layered them with cozy scarves.  Striped dresses definitely won 2015 in my book - and they will be back for round two in 2016. (similar, similar or similar)
west michigan style fashion mom blogger
(all photos by Jennifer Ketchum)


I would love to hear what some of your favorite purchases for 2015 were… how did they impact your wardrobe?? Do tell!


 

site design by kiki co.