Tuesday, April 29, 2014

playing dress up: three ways to style distressed denim!

I've got a fun new series today that I am super excited about called 'playing dress up'! Lately I've been feeling a little ho-hum about my usual "outfit posts"… I wanted a way to bring you gals real life style but in a way that really packed a punch and was full of lots of great inspiration.

I have found that photographing looks throughout the week that feature what I am wearing can be really, really challenging… especially with a super busy photographer (my husband) and two busy kids.  It just wasn't happening as regularly as I wanted it to.  And when it was happening it felt super rushed and uninspired on my part.  So I am going to try and take a break from the usual outfit posts in exchange for a full on session of playing dress up here at home.  This way I am able to show you how I style the pieces in my closet, but without the pressure of getting pictures at random intervals throughout the week.  As a blogger I am still learning to balance life with work, even after all these years.  Trying new projects like this get my creative juices flowing again and hopefully bring you readers great content as well.  I hope you like this new series!

I thought I would start this new series with my favorite jeans… my distressed jeans from the Gap. I know not everyone loves this look and they are not for all events or occasions either. But what I DO love about distressed jeans is that they add an extra layer of texture and laid back appeal to any look.  I never want to take style to seriously and distressed jeans have that exact vibe - not so serious.

Here I styled them a little sporty, dressed up for a night out and a little preppy.  I absolutely loved all these looks and will be recreating them (off camera) again very soon.









get the look

sporty: top, emmerson fry (similar) | jeans, gap | necklace, baublebar | sunglasses, ray ban | shoes, superega | clutch, j.crew factory

night out: top, j.crew factory (similar) | shoes, j.crew | bag, kate spade (similar) | earrings, j.crew (similar) | bracelet, dear prudence (similar)

preppy: blazer, gap | oxford top, h&m | bag, j.crew (similar) | shoes, j.crew factory

Stay tuned as I will have more of these posts coming soon (let me know if there is a particular piece you want styled too!) and tomorrow is this month's installment of "the damage" and it's going to be like a confession booth friends, lots of shopping this month (which is both good and bad!).


 

site design by kiki co.