Friday, August 30, 2013

August... the damage!

At the end of each month this year I have paused to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. Each month my target budget is $300. For some this may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break that bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

This month I planned to invest in some bigger investment purchases for my closet... some which panned out and some which didn't.  In general I wanted to about buy up the world (may a slight exaggeration) because that is just what happens in the fall.  But I didn't for one BIG reason... we are going through major home renovations right now and not only are those expensive, but I also want to buy some new furniture for the space when it's complete... so restraint was at an all time high this month. (good and bad... right!?!?)  Keep in mind though... last month I did buy a few new pieces for fall... so all in all I am doing good for new fall pieces.

Let's take a look at what I bought!

Madewell, Leopard Flats... $118 (after debating I chose this pair!)
Gap, Zip Ankle Skinny Jeans... $69.95 at 40% off, $41.97
Gap, Wax Coated Moto Skinny Jeans... $79.95 at 40% off, $47.97
J.Crew Factory, Boucle Peplum Jacket... $118 at 30% off, $82.50

Total Spent: $290.44 (total saved: $95.46)

Some thoughts on the budget: Technically I am right ON budget.  But in my mind with fall on it's way I had thought I would spend more this month and really had budgeted to do so.  So when I see I only got four new pieces it does feel like a little let down.  Does that make sense?  But on the flip side I did really need to reign in spending for some new furniture that we will be purchasing once home renovations are done. I could definitely use some more sweaters and tops for fall... so I will work on that in September. I had also originally purchased this gorgeous coat as well... but when it arrived the size was wrong and the size I needed was sold out. So that "saved" me some money - right?

Some thoughts on the pieces: I love that I snagged some investment pieces that are super neutral to mix and match throughout this fall.  I feel like all of the pieces are really solid building blocks for my wardrobe. And a few of them have already gotten some use and I really can't wait to start wearing all these pieces regularly come fall! 

Overall this "the damage" post is probably one of the more 'boring' ones... well except for June when I didn't purchase anything!  What do you think of these investments! I would love to know! 

What did you buy this month for fall? Let me know so I can live vicariously through you!

To see my whole year of spending so far... click here!

~~~~

And just to check in on where I am at so far for the year I did some calculations...
I've spent $2,710.83 in the 8 months of 2013.  That makes my average monthly spend $338.85.
So even though I have gone over quite a few months I have balanced it out nicely to stay pretty much on budget for the year.  This whole budgeting thing is very eye opening for me this year!




 

site design by kiki co.