Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July... the damage!

Each month this year I have paused at the end of the month to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. Each month my target budget is $300. For some this may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break that bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

This past month I went over budget (kind of my M.O. lately) BUT (and this is a big 'but') I didn't spend at all for June and also this is my birthday month so there were definitely a few things that I splurged on for myself this month and a few others that the deals were too good to pass up.  Even when I go over my budget I never feel "guilty" for it at the end of the month, I feel like I made good solid decisions on the pieces I bought.

So let's take a look at what I bought... this month I divided into two categories.  Summer items that were great deals and still fun to wear while the weather is warm and then fall goods that I am stocking away for when the weather cools or that will work both now and then.


summer pieces (from left to right):

Forever 21, Mint Woven Shorts... $14.80
Gap, Neon & White Striped Scarf... $29.95 discounted + 50% off promotion, $7.55
Forever 21, White Eyelet Shorts... $15.80
Forever 21, Navy & Red Striped Top... $10.80
Forever 21, Striped High/Low Sweater... $15.80 (not shown but seen here)
Target, Mini Neon Crossbody... $24.99 on sale for $12.99
Gap, White Embroidered Dress (similar)... $59.99 discounted + 50% off promotion, $16.19

fall pieces (from left to right):

Forever 21, Cream & Gold Scarf... $6.80
J.Crew Factory, Navy Peterpan/Polka Dot Top... $72.50 at 40% off, $43.50
J.Crew Factory, Swiss Dot Pom Pom Sweater... $79.50 at 40% off, $47.70
Kate Spade, Kat Ballet Flat (via GILT)... $119 used $100 credit... $19
J.Crew, Orange Bucket Bag... $228 discounted plus 40% off... $107.99
AG, Prima Jean (I purchased mine at a local boutique)... $176

Total Spent: $494.92 (total saved: $359.01)


Some thoughts on the budget... While I did in fact go over budget, I was surprised by the fact that I only went around $200 over budget for the amount of pieces I got and even a few investment pieces (quality flats, high-end denim and a leather purse).  If you notice, all the summer pieces I picked up at under $20 a piece (nice!)... it's proof that you can find good stuff under $25 and it's one of my favorite posts to write too... coincidence!?!? Probably not.  Overall, I think the budget is still right on track seeing that I didn't spend anything in June. But I will say that a more realistic monthly budget for myself is probably $400. I don't seem to be very good staying on my $300 budget - nor do I really want to! :)  I will have to think about this going forward for sure.

Some thoughts on the pieces... July can be a tricky month to shop, but it's also my birthday month so I like to treat myself and shopping is my favorite hobby (wink, wink!).  Summer prices are slashed for shorts and dresses which makes it very, very tempting to buy buy buy.  While not a lot of fall pieces are out yet, my mind still goes there as I tend to get sick of summer clothes quickly.  So it's a really weird balance. This month I did a good job of buying a few fun pieces at super cheap prices for summer AND still setting my eyes on fall in a practical way.  Most of the pieces I have bought this month have already gotten good use or will get good use so I am thrilled will all the purchases so far.  I could go on and on about why I purchased or really like specific pieces but perhaps I will go more in depth with that when I wear them in posts.

What do you think of July's purchases? Are you still enjoying these types of posts? How is your own budgeting going?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!



 

site design by kiki co.