Thursday, October 29, 2020

What I've been reading lately...

 

Somehow I haven't done a book post since June?!?! Wow, where does the time go? Since I am SO behind this one will just be quick notes on what I've read since then and how I liked it. My reading has always been a form of escape and I'm sure others will agree that it's really been a life saver over the past 8 months. It helps me fall asleep (which isn't a knock on any of these books at all!) by quieting my mind and letting me escape from reality. Although I will admit I thought I would've gotten a lot more reading done over the past 8 months than I actually did, in part to having a puppy and just a super busy household with everyone home so much, but when I do read I'm always thankful for the escape.  Let's take a look at what I've read since we chatted books last...

The Golden Hour by Beatriz Willimas, This is a great war time romance/historical fiction. Beatriz Williams books never disappoint. Plus I love a book with two intertwining storylines. If you read her previous book Along the Infinite Sea (I highly recommend) then you will notice an overlap in the character Johann von Kleist.

The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper, I enjoyed this book that is based on a true story. I love any glimpse I can get into the Royal family and found this book interesting. A little slow at some points but overall a great read for any Royal enthusiast.

The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates, This was a moving story of the Underground Railroad with some magical realism mixed in. I listened to the audio version and the narration was really fantastic.

Happy & You Know It by Laura Hankin, This book gets a big "meh" from me, unfortunately. It was super light and the perfect fluff read but also it was so farfetched and unbelievable at so many points. I found myself skimming it.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid, I really enjoyed this book and for the first half really loved all the characters because they were flawed but very real and relatable. By the second half of the book many of the characters revealed their true colors and became pretty unlikable for various reasons. It left me feeling a little lost, like what just happened? Overall this book just makes you think on impactful ideas on race. 

Open Book by Jessica Simpson, Even though everyone raved about this book, I was still skeptical. But I agree with the hype, this was a great read (although I listened on audio). She is a total inspiration and spills allll the juicy gossip alongside it. Speaking about her heartbreak over her parents divorce and being called fat by strangers at a size 4 were two spots in the book where I could strongly relate with her. I just loved her openness and vulnerability that stood beside her quiet strength.

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino, This is a great contemporary romance (there were quite a few steamy scenes, fyi) that is a really quick read. I got sucked in and loved it so much. Similar to In Five Years or The Light We Lost if you enjoyed those books.

The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff, This is solid WWII genre historical fiction, which is one of my favorite genres. I found myself contemplating the moral dilemma that this book laid out at the end of the story. It's such a good reminder of the complexities of life and the sacrifices made during war. 

Park Avenue Summer by Renee Rosen, Fun and light, yet inspiring. This is Mad Men meets The Devil Wears Prada, I loved escaping into this book. 

The One by John Marrs, I had quite a few people tell me I had to read this so maybe it was a little overhyped in my mind, but this book was just so-so for me. It was pretty dark and the serial killer storyline was tough to read. I loved the multiple storylines though and there were so many amazing cliffhangers in this book. I've heard this is becoming a Netflix series.

Majesty (American Royals #2) by Katharine McGee, I just love everything by Katharine McGee it is such a fun escape. I loved the first American Royals book and this one was an incredible follow up. Such a fun read!

And They Called It Camelot by Stephanie Marie Thornton, I've read quite a few Jackie O books and this was by far the most fascinating. From the the point of view of Jackie it was part fiction, part historical and a really engrossing read.

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig, I really enjoyed this book. The book asks big philosophical question about who we might be in another life or if we made different decisions. It's sweet and heartwarming but almost reads like a self help book at times.  The book is really thought provoking and gives a good perspective on life. 

Currently reading... Catharine House! It's kind of spooky and atmospheric. Perfect for fall!


 

site design by kiki co.