Thursday, October 17, 2019

fall capsule wardrobe 2019!



I am so excited to launch my fall capsule collection today! I first experimented with a capsule almost a year ago when I pulled together a holiday capsule. You gals really loved that and when spring rolled around were requesting a spring capsule.  So it's no surprise once fall was on the horizon you all wanted a fall capsule as well.  I will be honest, these are quite challenging to pull together! For spring I laid out a few 'ideals' for my capsule and since I think these ideals apply to any capsule, let's look at those again:

To me a capsule wardrobe should be a few things:

1) Seasonally appropriate. What pieces do I want to wear this season? What pieces work for this season?
2) EASY. It's easy to overthink the capsule process. A capsule collection should be the EASY pieces in our wardrobe. The ones we can mix and match over and over.
3) Speak to my personal style. These pieces should be the pieces that instantly come to mind when I think of my ideal fall wardrobe. They should reflect my own personal style - not just what's "new" at the stores.
4) Classic. A capsule collection should embody the classic wardrobe staples in your closet. These pieces are the foundation of your/my closet for the current season.
5) Inclusive. A capsule collection should be able to work as a whole, but also leave room for other pieces as well. If you want to add a fun or bold or trendy piece - the capsule should work together AND work with other pieces well too.

With these things in mind I went to my closet and tried to step away from buying anything only for the capsule. Instead, I chose twelve pieces that I am loving from my fall closet right now and that I know I will be wearing a ton over these next few months. I will note that while some pieces here are new or new-ish... I didn't buy them specifically to create a capsule. And I even worked to make sure that most of the items are pieces that you may already own. In general they are classic basics that likely you already have in your closet. Or if you don't have them in your closet or these items need a refresh for you - you can 100% justify making the purchase because you will instantly see here that the pieces are extremely versatile.



Let's chat quickly about the pieces I chose... first I went with three pairs of jeans that I have personally been loving lately. This classic pair of skinny jeans, a pair of straight leg black jeans with some distressing and this lighter pair of straight leg distressed jeans.  For tops I chose two pieces that work well on their own and that layer well including this versatile blouse and this striped bodysuit. Since fall is ALL about cozy sweaters I chose four sweaters and one sweatshirt. These are sweaters that I am loving wearing lately and that I know will get a lot of wear as the season progresses.  I've included this oatmeal cowl neck sweater, this leopard cardigan, a black mock neck sweater, a chunky knit white sweater and this black Love. sweatshirt.  To round out the layering options I included a denim jacket and a camo jacket. For reference I will list sizing information for all these pieces at the very bottom of the post.

Now let's take a look at the outfits! I put together 12 outfits with these 12 pieces for today's post, but the options are nearly limitless. You really could mix and match so many more than 12 looks!

(above)

Outfit 1 (left)
Perfect for all day mom duties or a weekend look, this casual sweater is easily dressed up with black jeans and leopard loafers. (shop the pieces: denim jacket, sweater, black jeans, leopard loafers)

Outfit 2 (right)
This leopard cardigan sweater gives me ALL the fall feels. It's so soft and cozy and instantly adds a bit of fun to any outfit. Here I kept it buttoned up and tucked in for more of a sweater feel vs. a cardigan feel. (shop the pieces: leopard sweater, jeans, loafers)

(above)

Outfit 3 (left)
A chunky sweater with ankle boots is one of my favorite fall combos. So classic. So comfortable! This would work for mom duties, weekend wear or even a casual day in the office. The camo jacket is a fun pop of personality to the look. (shop the pieces: camo jacket, sweater, jeans, ankle boots)

Outfit 4 (right)
I can never resist a black on black look this time of year. It looks fancy while being super comfortable, ya know? Here I dressed it down with a denim jacket and sneakers. You could swap sneakers for loafers if you wanted to wear this to the office. (shop the pieces: denim jacket, sweater, black jeans, sneakers*)

(above)

Outfit 5 (left)
Another black on black look and I am here for it. This time I took the sweatshirt and paired it with leopard loafers for a fun casual/pulled together look. (shop the pieces: denim jacket, Love. sweatshirt, jeans, leopard mules)

Outfit 6 (right)
Soccer games, football games, coffee runs, errands and all the weekend things. That is what this outfit feels like to me! Nice layers to keep warm and comfortable make this look perfect for momming it hard. (shop the pieces: camo jacket, sweater, jeans, sneakers*)

(above)

Outfit 7 (left)
I love that this chunky knit sweater can feel super casual but also more dressed up like here with black jeans and black flats. Perfect for a fall date night or a casual day in the office. (shop the pieces: sweater, jeans, flats)

Outfit 8 (right)
These two outfit prove that a sweater, jeans and flats is the most versatile of the outfit combos out there. It's easy and it always looks pulled together. Here the black sweater and leopard flats make the look interesting without being complicated. (shop the pieces: sweater, jeans, leopard mules)

(above)

Outfit 9 (left)
A simple blouse can really dress up a look! Paired with a denim jacket and black jeans it's still mom friendly but super pulled together looking. I love it with ankle boots as the weather cools. (shop the pieces: denim jacket, blouse, jeans, ankle boots)

Outfit 10 (right)
This is another great weekend look! A sweatshirt and camo jacket are so fun and on trend right now while still being extremely wear-able for everyday errands or mom duties. Paired with sneakers it the perfect casual fall look. (shop the pieces: camo jacket, Love. sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers*)

(above)

Outfit 11 (left)
A simple striped top is the perfect layering piece for any season and I love it for fall. Paired with the camo jacket it's a fun twist on pattern mixing without going overboard and it's dressed up with black jeans and flats. (shop the pieces: camo jacket, striped bodysuit, black jeans, flats)

Outfit 12 (right)
This blouse and leopard cardigan were made for each other! I love this pairing. It's fun with distressed jeans and loafers for a trendy but down to earth look. (shop the pieces: leopard cardigan, blouse, jeans, loafers)

Sizing info for all pieces:
Leopard Cardigan - runs a little big, size down if between sizes, I am in my usual size small.
Oatmeal Cowl Neck Sweater - true to size, I am in my usual size small.
Denim Jacket - true to size, I am in my usual size small.
Chunky Knit White Sweater - true to size, I am in my usual size small.
Camo Jacket - runs very large, size down one or two sizes, I am in an x-small here.
Black Jeans - these have great stretch and fit true to size.
Skinny Jeans - these have great stretch and fit true to size.
Distressed Straight Leg Jeans - minimal stretch and fit true to size.
Striped Body Suit - very comfortable! Trust me! True to size, but if between sizes you could go up a size, I am in my usual size small.
Love. sweatshirt - true to size, I went up a size for a slouchier fit and I am in a size medium here.
Black Mock Neck Sweater - true to size and made from recycled cashmere and wool! I am in my usual size small.
Stone Blouse - true to size and made from recycled materials! I am in size 2.

*these sneakers keep selling out... but here are some similar styles here and here.


shop all the pieces here:





 

site design by kiki co.