Wednesday, May 22, 2019

summer try on session!

Could it be? I feel like this is my first official "summer" try on session for the year! Our weather has been SO slow to warm up so I still feel like I am in spring-mode most of the time, or let's be honest, some days still the winter doldrums. BUT this weekend is Memorial Day, which is the unofficial start of summer - SO... mind over matter!  Summer is knocking at the door friends!

When I polled you on Instagram recently about what you were looking for as far as summer shopping goes a lot of you said shorts and easy tops.  Many of you said you wanted tops that were mom friendly but that had little extra touches to make them feel special and like more than just plain tees and tanks. I HEAR YOU! I usually find myself reaching for the same 4-6 tees all summer long and I want them to be cute and versatile but still really EASY. No fancy fabrics, no spaghetti straps, nothing too cropped or difficult to wear. I searched the internet high and low and I think I found some pretty great pieces. I know I am smitten with quite a few of the pieces myself - so I hope you are too.

I tend towards neutrals like grey, white, black and stripes all year long and summer is no exception. But if you like more COLOR - no worries! Most of these pieces are available in lots of colors and varying patterns so make sure to check out alternate colors than what I show here, if that is what you are looking for!

Let's take a look at the pieces!
above: This tank is the perfect example of being easy and cute to wear. It would look equally as good with jeans and a cardigan or blazer for the office as it would with shorts like I wore here. I went up a size on the tank as I found it very tight across the chest. I am in a medium here. This tank is also available in SO many cute colors - so be sure to check those out! These denim shorts are a new favorite. I love that they aren't super tight to the thigh. I also went up a size in the shorts, I am wearing a size 27.

above: Simple tees like this one are my go-to in the summer. I love the scoop neck on this one - not too high, not too low - and this one is available in lots of colors. This fits true to size - I am in a size small here. These shorts are meant to have the pockets stick out the bottom, which I don't love, but besides that they are super mom friendly. The inseam is nice and long and the back is longer than the front. Plus they are stretchy! These fit true to size, I am wearing a 26. If you don't like the pockets I recommend cutting them down or just tucking them underneath, both are easy fixes.

above: I love a SIMPLE tank for summer but also one that is easy to wear. This tank is nice and lightweight without being see through and it has a great drapey fabric that doesn't cling. This tank is perfect for those SUPER hot days. The tank fits true to size, I am wearing a size small. (shorts are featured above)

above: I love a linen blend top for summer and while yes they can be a little fussy (I don't put mine in the dryer) I think they are worth the trouble. They have a great drape to them that makes them super flattering and they look beautiful dressed up or down. I went up a size in this top for more drape, I am in a size medium. This top is also available in lots of colors. (shorts are featured above)

above: Who doesn't love a little embroidery with their summer wardrobe? This simple tank with the embroidered neckline is SO cute for summer. It's that little extra touch that makes a top feel special while still being really easy to grab and go. This top runs a little big, I am in a size xs here. It's available in a few different colors as well. (shorts are featured above)

above: If you love a linen top but prefer a v-neck I really like this one. It's available in quite a few colors and again, linen can so easily be dressed up or down. This runs a little small, I am wearing a size medium here. (short details below)

above: This tie front tank is SO cute - I am obsessed.  I like the wide shoulder so that the bra strap won't make an appearance and the fabric is nice and lightweight for those hot summer days. It's available in other colors and is cute with shorts or jeans for summer. This top runs big, I am in a size XS here. Speaking of shorts... I don't usually go for chino shorts for summer but I loved the patch pocket on these and thought they would be fun to try. I actually kind of like them! I am pleasantly surprised. Plus they are super mom friendly! So they are a win! I would say the shorts run true to size. I am in a size 4 for a slouchier fit.

above: This entire outfit is a big winner and I can't wait to recreate it soon... but let's talk about the pieces and why I love them so much! This stripe top (on sale!) is so soft and comfortable and again, nice and drapey so that it has a flattering fit as well. I am wearing a size XS here, it runs a little big so you may want to size down. I love it paired with the white straight leg jean. This "mom jean" style is quickly becoming a favorite and I love the raw hem paired with sandals. I went up one size in these jeans as I usually do with this brand and I am wearing size 27.  Bonus, they are under $100! (also, gotta love the classic blink photo, I nearly always have my eyes closed in pictures... why!??!)

above: Same jeans as above but this time I paired them with this gorgeous peplum top (it's on sale too!). It's hard to see in the photos but the fabric on this top is stretchy and oh-so-soft! And a peplum is flattering on so many women. It can hide trouble areas like the tummy or waist while still being very feminine and beautiful. This top is a big winner! This top runs quite big. I am in an xs here so you may want to size down when ordering. 

above: Who doesn't love a simple t-shirt dress? These types of dresses are my most favorite and you can easily style it with a denim jacket, a cardigan, on it's own or as a swim cover up. This one is affordable and comfortable. Win-win. I went with my usual size, size small here. If you wanted a little extra length or if you are between sizes you could size up one. (you can shop the dress here or here)

above: I've shown this shirt jacket on Instagram already and it's coming to the blog soon styled up in some cute outfits but I wanted to make sure you guys heard about how AWESOME this piece is! It's a lightweight jacket (very much a "shirt jacket") but the fabric is really nice and the stripe detailing make this jacket look super expensive without the hefty price tag. I have worn it three times since it arrived late last week. So I would say I'm quite smitten with it! It runs quite large so I recommend sizing down. I am in an XS here but could've gone even two sizes down.

above: I am calling this the MOM DRESS OF THE SUMMER. This is it gals. If you buy ONE thing this summer, make it this dress. It's soft and so, so comfortable and CUTE. The tie waist is really flattering and the tank is mom friendly. Plus the length is perfect for busy moms that don't want to show too much leg. I love the ruching on the side as well which makes the skirt portion really flattering. It's a great price and can be worn on it's own or layered with a cardigan, sweatshirt, denim jacket... you name it! It's true to size. I am wearing a size small here.

above: Last but not least is this black romper. I bought this one and a very similar one from Amazon (you can see it here). And in the end the Amazon version is my favorite. But I still wanted to show this one to you for a few reasons... the fabric is a little thinner (the Amazon fabric is quite thick and not everyone is going to like that) and the pant leg is a little longer. Really they are both SO close to one another and both so cute. You can't go wrong with either. I would probably wear this with a denim jacket and sandals for an easy day time look. This romper runs true to size, I am wearing a size small here.




 

site design by kiki co.