Thursday, August 31, 2017

what I read this month... August 2017!


August was another great month for reading for me... although I will be honest, I can't believe I squeezed in six (6!!!) books.  This month was full of lots of page turners that made for classic summer reads.  A lot of people ask how I read so much or find time for it.  My number one tip (especially if you have kids that are around the ages of my kids and need to be driven everywhere) is to bring a book everywhere you go.  I will 99% of the time leave my house with a book.  It never fails practice runs late and I can read while waiting or that dreaded "get to the game 45 minutes before it starts" instantly turns into reading time.  I also love to take baths and when I get stressed (i.e. back to school season) I can knock out a few hours a week in the bath reading.  It's a win win for everyone (since I usually retreat to the bath when I've had enough of my kids, it saves us all - haha!).  Every little bit adds up. 

Caraval - I don't read a lot of YA or SciFi, but I definitely enjoyed this book.  Am I the only one when I read YA that instantly thinks 'yikes, I wouldn't want my kids reading this!' (due to some sexually suggestive scenes and some violence).  If you are able to suspend disbelief at the completely outrageous plot line, but hey, therein lies the fun of SciFi - this is a super fun read.  It follows two sisters as they escape their terrible home life to Caraval - part game, part entertaining world where the  attendees become part of the performance and reality isn't as it seems.  I enjoyed this diversion from the types of books I usually read and it definitely reminded me of The Night Circus which is another book I loved. 

Romancing the Throne - This book is easy, fun reading for Royal Watchers like myself! This book isn't high literature but it makes for the perfect beach or weekend read. When two sisters with very different personalities fall for the same Prince at their elite British boarding school - the perfect Royal inspired romantic comedy ensues.  I also recommend The Royal We if you want more Prince charming storylines in your life this fall!

Hourglass: Time, Memory, Marriage - This book started promisingly enough with a few deep thoughts on love, marriage and life.  An open and honest memoir about the ups and downs of marriage this short book fell flat for me.  It rapidly devolved into a random steam of conscious writing exercise that left me asking what any of it had to do with anything. So many people loved this book and I never like to give a bad review. But, BUT.  I just didn't care for this book.  Although - maybe read the reviews for yourself and see if it's something that would be meaningful for you. 

Miss You - When I heard this book compared to The Light We Lost (see review here) that I completely and utterly adored, I knew I had to pick it up.  The story follows a man and a woman that are seemingly meant to be together or to at least meet as their paths cross multiple times over a long span of time.  It offers perspective on fate and the twists and turns life takes us on. Unfortunately I found this book without the hope and reconciliation that The Light We Lost offered.  The storyline seemed so depressing for me and while the book ended on a positive note, it wasn't until the very final pages.  So this would be the second book this month that fell a little flat for me, unfortunately. 

Before the Fall - I waited FOREVER on the library wait list for this and it was worth it! This book has a great pace that quickens as you read it, leaving you unable to put it down for the entire second half.  The book opens with a small private jet that goes down in the middle of the ocean.  As the book continues we learn about the passengers on the flight and their messy back stories.  Leading the reader to wonder if the plane going down was an accident or not.  It all leads up to a breathless finish that I never saw coming.  This would be a great book to re-read - but it was due back to the library before I could get to a second reading - I'm sure there are so many details I missed the first time though!

**Are You Sleeping - Seemingly inspired by the "Serial" podcast, a family is ripped apart when their father is murdered.  Many year later after they have all attempted to get on with their lives a podcast producer comes to town wanting to reopen the case.  Family drama continues and make for a quick page turner of a book.  If you love a good mystery (especially one with a pretty satisfying end) you will love this book - it's the perfect weekend read! (** please note I was supplied with an Advanced Reader Copy of this book free of charge to review. All opinions are my own.)

What have you been reading lately? Have you read any of these books? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them!





 

site design by kiki co.