Friday, March 31, 2017

what I'm reading this month... March 2017!


Wow! Did March fly by or what!?!? Where did the time go? It's already time to round up what books my nose was in this month. I felt like I was in a little bit of a reading slump this month for two reasons: 1) I was sick almost the entire first half of the month and I always think 'oh! I'm sick! I could  lay in bed and read for hours' and that is never the case friends. I never read when I am sick. I just sleep or crave tv.  Boo!  And 2) I didn't do well on book selection this month. There were a few winners, but a few losers too and let's all admit... it's hard to read a book you don't love.  And, for me, even harder to quit a book. I don't know why but I feel terrible quitting a book.  SO I trudge on and then regret it.  But no worries! I bounced back with a few really good and quick reads. A quick read is the best way to recover from a bad book, wouldn't you say?

So here's what I read this month...

The Perfume Collector... This is a classic historical fiction with the plot flip flopping between current day and the past.  It follows a young lady in 1950's London who receives a surprise inheritance and sets out to find out who left her with such wealth and why. I do admit that parts of this story were a bit predictable, but not in a cheesy way.  The story is about choosing your own way, love, family and also with some perfume mixed in.  If you are a historical fiction lover, I highly recommend it. Or if you are new to historical fiction and want to get started with something that is light and easy to read - this book is for you!

Victoria... I'm a sucker for the Masterpiece Classic shows on PBS and this book is by the screenwriter of the new Masterpiece Classic show by the same name: Victoria. I vowed to finish the book before I saw the show and I'm glad I did.  The book helps spell out the MANY characters in this drama better than the show, in my opinion.  The characters are SO good and the drama pulls you in quickly. I always try to read the book before the movie/show and I'm glad I did.  I am about half way through season one of the show and I am really loving that too!

Our Endless Numbered Days... this book was the March pick for my bookclub. I would have never picked this book up on my own.  The book can be a little slow in the middle but the big twist at the end is worth it. This book had me reeling for days at the ending and is SURE to be a good bookclub discussion.  The book follows a dad and his daughter as they set out into the woods outside of London to live.  Telling his daughter the world has ended and they are the only two people alive in the world, they live off the land together in bliss. Until everything changes.

The Versions of Us... This is a Sliding Doors type story of a two people that meet and fall in love or don't. It follows three "versions" of the story's characters Eva and Jim in 1950's London (wow, London is really a theme this month?). I loved the premise of this book, but it was a slog to read. It just dragged and dragged for me. I read 80% off the book and skimmed the last 20% or so. I was just SO bored.  But that being said, I love this style of writing.  So if you want a Sliding Doors type book that is much more enjoyable to read I recommend Life After Life (set in WWII) or Maybe in Another Life (ChickLit).

Dark Matter... I don't usually pick up science fiction, but I kept hearing about this book and randomly found it at the library so I thought "what the heck?" This book was a total page turner but I don't really know how to describe it!  You can read the description on Amazon or just read the book! It was a total page turner and I finished it in just a couple of days. Next I think my husband will read it and if it didn't have a few "adult" scenes that are actually quite mild I know my 12 year old son would love it too.  Other totally random science fiction books I have loved are: The Book of Strange New Things and The Martian

The Marriage Pact... Sometimes a gal just needs some ChickLit, you know? This is another book I randomly picked up from the library and it was a fun and easy read I finished in a few sittings.  It follows a single, now 30 year old that is down and out in life as she and a long time friend remember they made a pact to marry at 30 if they both hadn't settled down on their own yet.  I found the characters likable and a the plot easy and fun to follow.  Perfect spring break or beach read!

So that's what I read this month... as a sneak peek, this is what I packed in my suitcase for spring break reading: What I Saw and How I Lied, One True Loves and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. All of these are recommendations from my favorite Podcast: What Should I Read Next. And all of them look like fun easy reads!


 

site design by kiki co.