Wednesday, April 23, 2014

my everyday style: sweatshirt chic!

It's a given that if you buy a new sweatshirt you are going to want to wear it constantly.   This sweatshirt is part sweater and part sweatshirt which makes it even more alluring and wanting to wear it constantly is an understatement.  But I'm not here to talk about sweatshirts today (we should take a rain check on that though!). I thought I would do a little review on the J.Crew Pixie Pant that I bought a few months ago.  A lot of you were wondering about them and whether they were worth it, etc, etc.

After wearing them once I decided to get the length tailored.  You can buy them in a short length from J.Crew online but the sales lady at the store said she had done that (she was about my height) and said they were still too long.  So I took her word for it and bought the regular pair and the tailor hemmed them for inexpensive ($10 I think).

While I was at the tailor the gal that was helping me said they install stop zippers on these same pants quite often.  I was so intrigued by this but fore-went the zipper at the time.  The zipper that they come with can sneak down during the day - although I haven't really had a problem with it.  But what I would love about a stop zipper is then being able to get rid of the hook and eye closure at the top of the zipper. Hook and eyes drive me nuts mostly because I can't work them behind my back (am I alone?) and sometimes it digs into me while wearing these pants (only when sitting in the car I've noticed).  So eventually I will probably go back and get the stop zipper.

The other question a lot of you had was the "dry clean only" instructions that come with these pants.  If any one isn't a dry clean kind of gal, it's me.  Another tip from the sales lady was to hand wash them and lay them flat.  My washing machine at home does a REALLY good job on the hand wash cycle so after quite a few wears (I think 5 or 6) with a wish and a prayer I put them in the hand wash cycle on my washer. (Make sure you trust the hand wash or gentle cycle of your washing machine before doing this)  They were a little stiff and had shrunk the tiny, tiny, tiniest amount but after wearing them for an hour or so were just fine.  It was similar to washing jeans and then "breaking them in" again after the dryer (but I wouldn't put these in the dryer like jeans!).

The final verdict!?  I wear these pants about 2 times a week and absolutely LOVE them (I would seriously wear them more if I wasn't embarrassed to) so for $98 they are absolutely worth it in my book.  They aren't cheap but it beats picking up $10 leggings every other month because they fade or get holes in them.

I know this post was lengthy but I hope that if you were thinking about buying the J.Crew Pixie Pant you had some of your questions answered about them with this little review.







Details:
Sweatshirt Sweater, J.Crew (similar less expensive or also very cute)
Jacket, H&M (or this very popular option)
Pants, J.Crew Pixie Pant
Shoes, Piperlime (or in leather)
Sunglasses, Kate Spade (similar less expensive)
Purse, J.Crew (similar or similar or drool worthy)

 

site design by kiki co.