Friday, February 28, 2014

The Damage - February 2014!

At the end of each month this year I am planning to pause to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. Each month my target budget is $300 and only 5 pieces of clothing or shoes. I chose 5 items because I am working on making my closet a more curated place without a lot of hubris and also to try to put an end to the constant closet clean outs where loads of clothes get sent to charity.  Not that there is anything wrong with giving clothes to charity, it's just that I hope to make my clothes last longer in general.  For some this budget may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break the bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

When I posed this challenge for 2014 to myself of only buying 5 pieces a month I knew it would be a "challenge" and indeed it is.  I'm still trying to a) stick to it and b) wrap my head around the idea and how it will play out over the next 10 months.

Here is the damage for this month… read on to hear more about the budget and my thoughts on the pieces.


J.Crew, Pixie Pant, $98
J.Crew, Merino Tunic, $88
H&M, Blazer, $49.95 marked down to $19.95
J.Crew, White Cap Sleeve Tee, $29.50 on promotion for $25
J.Crew, Grey Vintage V-Neck Tee, $29.50 on promotion for $24.50
J.Crew, Jeweled Tuxedo Tank, $88 marked down with 40% off was $35.99

Total Spent: $291.44 (total saved: $91.51)

Thoughts on the budget: Under budget for 2 months in a row! This is awesome! And super rare.  I guess there is not too much else to say on the budget… money wise I was right on target!  

Thoughts on the pieces: The pixie pants and tunic top were on my wish list from the start of this month. I figured I probably wouldn't find them on sale, and right I was.  Those two pieces ate up a huge chunk of my budget but I knew that would probably be the case so I planned accordingly with my other selections.  Winter months like January and February are perfect times to stock up on basics like the leggings and the tees.  When you don't really need new winter clothes and it's too early to buy spring pieces it's a great time of year to grow the classics in your closet.  I really needed new of those three (leggings & tees) - so it worked perfect. I had some fun with trendier pieces like the blazer and the tank which ended up being the spontaneous purchases of the month.  Like I said before the leggings, tunic and tees were planned for in advance.  I am one piece over my monthly allotment (like last month) but with basics like tees and leggings all in one month I'm still not adding a ton of bulk or extras to the closet, but hopefully building it smartly which was the intention of the piece limit I put on myself in the first place.

One thing I notice about the 5 piece limit along with the monetary budget is the pre planning I have to do. This month I made a list, did some online research and then went shopping. It's all very planned and controlled. Which I will admit does take some of the "fun" out of shopping… but it's also more practical.  I think taking some of the emotional thrill out of shopping is actually healthy to some extent.  If each piece is just a "thrill" then your closet will inevitably be filled with "cheap thrills" instead of "wise investments".  I already have my list started for next month, so I am thankful for the turn in the calendar tomorrow (wink, wink!).  

Did you budget your clothing this month and blog about it!?!? If so, share in the comments, I would love to see what you chose and also know that I have shopping-sisters in this with me!  So please share!

see you around...

 

site design by kiki co.