Thursday, June 6, 2013

May... the damage!

Each month this year I have paused at the end of the month to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. Each month my target budget is $300.  For some this may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break that bank.  Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

Some months doing this post is like nails on a chalkboard to me... it's not exactly pleasant!  This past month I went way over budget - eek! However I will say that I have absolutely no shoppers remorse and I never put clothing items on a charge card so I don't feel guilty. (note: I do use a Gap card to take advantage of cardholder perks but I pay off my balance each month, no questions asked. I do not recommend spending more than you are able. Ever.)

What I enjoy about these posts is that is does make me take a hard look at my closet and spending whereas in years past I haven't been so vigilant about it.


1. J.Crew, Linen Summer Sweater... $69.50 at 20% off, $55.60
2. Neiman Marcus, Ray Ban Cat Eyes... $145
3. Gap, Mixed Woven Top... $26.95 at 30% off, $18.86
4. Gap, Destroyed Boyfriend Jeans... $74.95 with promotion/discounts/coupons, $11.89
5. Nordstrom, Havaiana's Slim Gold Flip Flops... $26
6. J.Crew Factory, Leather Envelope Clutch (in mint)... $78 at 50% off, $39
7. J.Crew Factory, Stone Fan Necklace... $54 at 50% off, $27
8. Gap, 3/4 Sleeve Raglan Sweatshirt... $34.95 at 30% off, $24.46
9. J.Crew Factory, Cotton Tank Dress... $45 at 50% off, $22.50
10. Gap, Destroyed Boyfriend Shorts, $49.95 at 30% off, $34.96
11. Gap, Mixed Woven Top... $26.95 at 30% off, $18.86
12. Gap, Always Skinny Light Washed Denim... $69.95 at 30% off, $48.96
13. J.Crew Factory, Everyday Leggings... $34 at 50% off, $17
14. Gap, Stripe Woven Dress... $64.95 at 30% off, $45.96

(not shown - sold out online)
Gap, Leopard Belt... $16.99 at 30% off, $11.89
J.crew Factory, Crystal Flower Bracelet... $29 at 50% off, $14.50

Total Spent: $562.44 (total saved: $283.70)

Some thoughts on the budget... obviously, it's blown. BUT I saved a lot. So I feel good about the savings. And most importantly I love all the pieces I purchased, so budget-be-damned I am happy with my spending for this month. I also have been telling myself that I should take a break for June. We will see if I can hold out on that, usually I'm not very good at it.  I will say however, in past years my heaviest times of spending are spring and fall. So I may be able to resist.

Some thoughts on the pieces... A few of the pieces were replacement items (leggings & flip flops) but most of my spending this month was focused on summer apparel.  Gap and J.Crew Outlet were my large hauls and both of those were at a really great discount (30% off and 50% of respectively).  My purchases from Gap were super basic and versatile and ALL of the pieces that I purchased there this past month are already in heavy rotation, so I know I made sound purchases.  The J.Crew Factory purchases were a STEAL in my book at 50% off (their Memorial Day sale).  Every time I buy from J.Crew Factory I am more and more surprised at the gorgeous pieces, the great quality and the prices. I think that this is one of my favorite stores these days.  

I will also say that I have really enjoyed getting dressed each day. First it's fun to have new pieces (that is always the case) but summer dressing is so fun. I find a lot of joy in my carefully curated closet these days and I think there is something commendable about that. I really, really like clothes. I do!  So I like to see that I am investing in ways to make the process of getting dressed fun lately.

Think I can go without spending in June? (we are 6 days in and so far so good!)


 

site design by kiki co.