Saturday, January 12, 2013

home tour Saturday... updating my desk!

My office area of the house is in limbo right now... it used to look like this with double desks for the kids and I.  We are also working on our basement family room and those double desks went downstairs for now.  We have had an old, old Marshall Fields & Co roll top secretary hanging around forever. My parents were going to get rid of it  many years ago, so I snagged it. It's really really big so we have always had a hard time with where in the house to put it but I am working on incorporating it into my office because I could use the desk space and because it's all that's left for me to use!

It really is gorgeous but being very old it's a little worn down.  The drawers were a mess (literally and literally) after years of use and after I just threw my stuff in here quickly a few weeks back.

At Target this week I found this great herringbone wrapping paper on clearance for $2.50 and I knew instantly it would make a great lining for the drawers on the desk.

I will feature more pictures of the full desk once this space comes together better... but here is a before and after and DIY on a simple way to update the drawers in your desk!




I simply measured the drawers and used a straight edge to cut the paper to size.  It feels like a new desk when I open the drawers (which I used to dread doing for fear of what was inside!).  I think I may do this with my dresser drawers too as I am using a vintage dresser right now.  It's so simple!

 

site design by kiki co.