Monday, February 7, 2011

my outfit: crazy talk!

For the first time ever in my life... living in the mid-west for winter has been really challenging.  I have never really minded the cold or snow, I just look the other way and power through.  But this winter the weather has me down!  Pair that with crabby and cooped up kids and their bickering and the Sponge Bob is enough to put me over the edge.



I've forced myself to list out some things (coping mechanisms, if you will) to help me stay away from the crazies.

- email a friend to see how they are doing and what's new with them.  As a mom I am usually too busy for the phone (or my kids are too loud).  But sitting down and composing an email inquiring about how a friend is doing gets me out of my own head and into the full of humanity.  We all have lives, mine isn't the most dramatic or forlorn. (My life isn't really dramatic or forlorn at all, but when I stew... it becomes so).



- paint my nails.  I don't know why, but this always makes me feel better.  Plus I have an excuse to not serve ANOTHER glass of milk or ANOTHER snack to the kids for at least 30 minutes (my kids seem to want snacks like every 15 minutes) - my nails are drying!

- go to the bathroom and shut the door.  Cry if needed.  Sometimes just a door between me and the kids where I can take a deep breath and think rationally is all I need.  Crying helps, what can I say, I'm a girl. (If this sounds crazy to you, you likely don't have kids or you have a nanny or you are super woman)



- organize something.  This is my way of controlling the situation (me and my shrink are aware of this problem - ha!).  But it is more productive than crying or yelling and again, focuses my attention outside of my head.

- do the dishes.  When our dishwasher first broke I was a little bitter.  But now I feel like there is something zen about doing the dishes - warm water, bubbles... it's almost like a bubble bath (now we know I am for sure crazy!).  And also it gets me out of the "I NEED MILK!" demands from the kids... sorry, I say... my hands are all wet!  This by no means should be a reason to not replace the dishwasher though.



- read. Reading is my escape, a lot of people ask how I have time to devour a book in three days (or less, sometimes!) and I just make time for it.  It's a great escape for me and I can squeeze in a minute here and there as my schedule (or the kids) allow.

- blast some music.  This works equally well for me and the kids... as the gals on Grey's Anatomy always say... "Just dance it out!"



- Lastly, and most importantly, wear a leopard print scarf.

What are your coping mechanisms for the long crazy days of winter?

ps, snow anyone?

Details:
Scarf, courtesy of KUTE clothes
Jacket, courtesy of Tulle - it's on sale!
Sweater, JCrew (similar)
Jeans, Gap (similar)
Boots, Nine West (similar)
Sunglasses, Forever 21 (similar)

22 comments:

diane @ a spot of whimsy said...

great post, jill! love the tips. i definitely know the feeling. i need some warmer days asap. have a good week! xo.

Jewelscapes Handmade Jewelry said...

Great list of coping skills,very essential for mama's sanity, I agree! And great scarf!!!

jewelscapes.blogspot.com

Lauren {Land of Douglas} said...

Love the scarf! And the tips. It's nice to read such a real post...and to know that I am not the only one that thinks having a bathroom door between me and the kiddo/hubby/floor full of toys is a useful coping tool.

PS~Erin said...

Oh, I so hear you! We were snowed/iced in for 4 days straight, *and* the hubby was out of town. I about went nuts without some adult interaction. I coped by going with it, knowing I had no choice... Eating M&Ms on the sly... Putting the kids to bed ridiculously early...

Loved this post!

Nicole said...

oh I am with ya! It's been a long winter...and I live in a "mild" area and I am soooo over it! My son has been climing the walls and momma is about to join him! I enjoyed reading this...funny and very, very true stuff here...as a mom I can totally relate!

Kendra said...

Thanks for making me laugh and making me feel sane! I am with ya on the organizing thing...I can't handle being cooped up in the house with STUFF all over the place. The house feels incredibly small in the winter.

Maggie Rose said...

These all apply to dealing with my crazy job too (well, not the nail painting... don't think my boss would go for that!). Don't need kids to make you hide in the bathroom to cry - but at least now I know that I'm just preparing for motherhood! Hang in there, spring will get here soon (I hope!)

YellowBirdDayBook said...

I am so feeling this post. Snow, snow, snow, and gray days are a real downer.

I do a lot of the things you listed but I also sew. You really can't think about anything else and it is a great stress buster!

Stephanie said...

i love this post and it's authenticity. thank you. i especially appreciate number 3!

i live in warm weather and i still feel crazy at times...

Kelly said...

Oh boy, I know what you mean. Yesterday I looked at my husband and said, "Are we really going to deal with these Michigan winters for the rest of our lives?" He emphatically replied, "No!" Maybe he has some secret plan I'm not aware of. :)

I cope by making things. If I can get my little guy to sit stil to make a quiet craft, we all calm down and feel better. Music helps too - you're right about that.

agiftaday said...

love this post! i was just telling a friend that my cure for the winter doldrums is bright pink nails -- wearing them now.

Jenny said...

Oh yeah, it's not the snow that has us cooped up it's being sick almost constantly. I'm done. Funny thing is SpongeBob is the only thing that keeps me sane some days. Hang in there...

Meg O. said...

I wish I could add to the "winter weather coping mechanism tips" but alas, it's AT LEAST 80 degrees 10 months out of the year here. Love those sunglasses, though!!! -Meg

kristen said...

you are rockin' those ray ban inspired shades! love the whole outfit. thanks for sharing what gets you through these cold, dreary days. i always like learning more about you!

Angeline said...

Blog reading, (find out what Jill is wearing today!); the painting nails works for me, too; and definitely creating little things to do for someone else - shovel snow for Daddy, Grandma, etc - that involve large motor activities for the kiddos (lots of supervising for Mom)!

Laurita P said...

i'm with you! i can't wait til it gets warmer. i just moved back to CA from DC and got lucky with an 80 degree day this weekend. can't wait til it stays that way!

http://adorablydeliciouslp.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

Thank you! Im having guilty mom feelings for not wanting to hang inside with my kids anymore. Thanks for being so for REAL!

Mama Marshmallow said...

I am with you on the painting your nails. Also on the dancing and reading parts... Love that scarf.

Kayla said...

this is just what i needed. i looked at the clock yesterday and said to myself '5 isn't to early to put kate to bed is it??' soooo sick of winter!

thanks for telling it like it is.

Stephanie D said...

Love your outfits, you have me some great ideas!

Jen (Pink) Williams said...

What a great post, I can totally relate to. Plus that's a perfect scarf - so perfect I might have to get my own! Thanks for sharing.

karen★ said...

this is so great! i think every one of these tips is something that i've done...especially ORGANIZING!!! (but, that's just the shrink in me talking!) i also really love reading. i'm a fast reader like you, & somehow, when i read i don't hear what the tiny crazies are doing around me. call it neglect or whatever you want...but it literally saves me (& them!).

p.s. nix the sponge bob girl - he is annoying & rude & it makes me want to kill anyone around. just say no!

p.p.s. you look adorable! really loving the scarf!

**if superwoman says she isn't crying....she's a L-I-A-R!!


 

site design by kelly christine studio