Tuesday, May 4, 2010

my outfit: purple swirls!

I recently took advantage of a JCrew sale and snagged a couple of their embellished tops. Because really, who doesn't just drool over JCrew and their embellishments these days. They are just to die for and really even more pretty and delicate in person than in the catalog.


I love the juxtaposition of the more masculine cargo pants with the frilly and girly top. And I can pretty much say for sure that while coral was my new favorite for spring, this gorgeous lavender color is my new favorite for summer. Although coral is by no means "out". At this rate I should have about four new colors a year... black and grey are shaking in their boots.


The only dilemma I am having with this top is that it is hand-wash. My washing machine has a hand-wash setting - so with a wish and a hope I am going to have to give that a try. I'm not much for ACTUALLY hand-washing things. I mean, it is 2010, you know! Does anyone have an embellished JCrew top that also says "hand-wash"? If so, what is your experience?



Details:
Top, JCrew (similar)
Pants, Old Navy (similar)
Bangle, Forever 21 (similar)
Belt, Gap (similar)
Sandals, Forever 21 (similar)

12 comments:

Liz said...

Love it! I think it looks great with the cargo pants, but would also be awesome with black skinnies!

Dobbygirl said...

Cute! What I usually do for hand wash things that look like they can handle the washing machine (I have a front loader). I turn them inside out and put them in a mesh lingerie bag, with regular load and just hang to dry.

KP in D.C. said...

I recently got the same top from J.Crew too! I haven't washed it yet but I'm also concerned about hand-washing. I have a feeling I'll be throwing it in on the delicate cycle and keeping my fingers crossed for the best.

ms. less is always more said...

Dobbygirl, I have a front loader too.. I'm gonna go the ghetto route and put it in a pillowcase... poor (wo)man's lingerie bag! Ha! I'll let you lovelies know how it goes!

Brittany said...

I don't have a jcrew embellished top, but I have others that are also hand wash. I wash them in my machine, but I use a tide delicates bag. You can get it at the grocery store by all the laundry baskets - it's just a mesh-type bag that water can go through so it washes your clothes, but also protects them from the machine.

karen★ said...

So pretty pretty! That color is gorgeous.

I have some J-Crew handwash only embellished tops, (that's a mouthful!. I just use cold water on the hand-wash cycle with Woolite (the goddess of detergents!) & then lay flat to dry. All my tops are still in mint condition!

Jackie said...

Love this outfit! I usually bypass anything that says hand wash because I am lazy and don't want to do it. I was actually going to mention to you once that you should do a post on "clothing care", like how you wash/store/take care of your pieces. I don't know if it's the way I wash things or that most of my stuff is cheap, but I swear after a few washes things get little holes or fade, etc. Just a thought...

Maria said...

this top looks great on you, Jill and so does your cute lil ponytail too!

Elle Sees said...

Since I can't afford J Crew at the moment, I'm gonna try making one:
http://christinaclose.blogspot.com/2010/02/from-sheet-to-chic-in-30-min-jcrew.html
Apparently it's from a sheet?

lauren @ gathering moss said...

i have several j.crew tops like this, and i am a machine washing fiend because i have very sensitive skin - everything must be washed before wearing if i don't want hives. awesome, i know. my tops with embellishments hold up fine in the hand wash cycle, but even lying flat to dry, the ruffles/petals/etc often crumple up and require ironing, which is a giant pain. i haven't tried a lingerie bag though, so that may help.

Maggie Rose (Magchunk) said...

So funny - I literally had JCrew open to this exact shirt online last night when I read this post (and then got distracted and didn't comment). Think I might have to go for it. The color is lovely on you!

PS~Erin said...

Love this pretty top paired with the cargo pants. Very cute! I don't hand wash anything, so I'm not one to ask.


 

site design by kelly christine studio