Friday, June 30, 2017

what I read this month... June 2016!


I'm a broken record, I know it... but June just FLEW by!  I can't believe how quickly it went.  The good news is that I did a TON of reading this month (9 books!?!? That must be a personal record!).  Hello reading by the pool! The even better news is that I read some AMAZING books that I just can't wait to tell you about... without further ado, this is what I read this month...  

A Certain Age... A love triangle set in the Jazz age in New York City has all the makings for the perfect beach read - and it doesn't disappoint.  I love every book by this author (my favorite is Along the Infinite Sea) who uses the same family lines in her books over and over again and writes with a certain bubbliness that keeps you coming back for more. 

I'll See You in Paris... This book is loosely based on the real life of Gladys Spencer-Churchill the Duchess of Marlborough and I am a sucker for a good historical fiction novel set upon some truth.  The characters were easy to love, the scenery was perfectly set and although I guessed a few of the twists and turns, this book was super fun to read!

**The Address... Another favorite from another favorite author!  I first read this authors book The Dollhouse back in February. So when I had the opportunity to read his latest book before it is available on August 1, I jumped at the chance.  Much like The Dollhouse, The Address is set in one of New York City's most iconic buildings and follows the lives led there.  This book takes place in The Dakota, built in the 1880's, it was designed to be a full service apartment building that was then built in the 'countryside' of Manhattan. Drama, murder, love, history - this book has it all. You know I love historical fiction, so this book was a winner for me.  But if you love New York City, old buildings and a good twist and turn in the plot line then this book is for you too. Be sure to get yourself on the pre-order list at Amazon or at your library!

The Things We Keep... I would put this book into the 'romantic medical drama' category a la Me Before You and The Fault in Our Stars.  It follows a woman who has early onset dementia at age 38 and is moved to a facility where she can be cared for full time.  There she meets the love of her life, forgets it all and then tragically dies.  Touching and sad, yet uplifting this book was a great read, even though this isn't a genre I tend towards.

Alex and Eliza... This book is technically YA, but I don't mind a good YA read and it had gotten great reviews.  It recounts the love story of Alexander Hamilton (yes, HAMILTON) and Elizabeth Schuyler.  Sure our society is obsessed with Hamilton these days, but for good reason.  It's a great love story and a fun quick read.  It's also another look from another angle of the story. If you want more about the other side of this story I also read and loved The Traitor's Wife in January.
 
**Seven Days in May... More historical fiction!?!? You don't say! What can I say, I know what I like. Set in the 7 days preceding the sinking of the Lusitania this book follows a handful of characters as they live out their days at sea during the beginning of World War I.  Told from several points of view, the book moves quickly and even though we ultimately know the story of the Lusitania, this book completely brought it to new light.  I loved the characters and was truly sad when this book was over. It's a book I keep thinking about the characters and wondering where they are now.

Into the Water... I couldn't resist the much anticipated follow up book by the author of The Girl on the Train. I wouldn't say that 'contemporary thriller fiction' is my favorite genre of reading, they are usually fun and fast paced books to read that keep me guessing and turning the pages.  All good qualities in a book.  This one fell a little flat for me with some parts being a little confusing and other parts be so outlandish/unbelievable.  If you can suspend belief and love a good twisty turny dark novel, then I do think you will enjoy this.  Also, let me know if you read it and think the last line of the book is a twist.  Is it!?!? I can't tell!

The Light We Lost... I don't even know where to begin with this book!  First of all, it was so, so, so good.  It was also sad and happy and everything in between.  Seriously, there was all the feels with this book!  It follows the love story of two college students that met on September 11, 2001 and brings their story to present day. It's written almost as a letter to one of the characters, you will find out which one and why, and it's just beautiful from the very start to the very end.  It's an absolute emotional roller coaster and my heart was in my throat for pretty much the entire book.  I can't recommend this one enough!

My (not so) Perfect Life... The summer isn't complete without a hefty dose of chick-lit books. And Sophie Kinsella never disappoints.  I literally read this book in two days, it's so easy and fun. And funny! There were definitely some laugh out loud moments. But also some heartfelt moments as well.    A fresh from college gal moves to the "big city" of London for work when suddenly said career falls apart right in front of her.  She heads home to help out with the new family business and adventure ensues.  Put this one on your summer vacation reading list!

What books have you been reading lately? I would love to know!

**these books were provided either in book/digitial form free of charge for the purpose of reviewing/reading.  All opinions are my own. 





 

site design by kiki co.