I have compiled ten amazingly simple summer essentials, although many can carry you through several seasons, that are great for all women, not just those fun, young, college kids (ah, to be in college again... best days of my life... ahem, I need to snap out of it!)
Lucky you, you get the first five today... and then next five next week. Sound good... well, here we go!
1. Blazer: Seriously, are you sick of me and the whole blazer thing yet? If you don't have one, buy one, OR even better yet... search your old stuff. I have "stolen" jackets from pant/skirt suits and now they are my favorite blazers. Also, if you are a bit fashion-forward. Here's a tip, shoulder pads are on their way back and quick! So go search the racks at the Goodwill for some shoulder-pad laden jackets! As far as blazers go, they should be a high quality piece that can last... Here's one of my favorites (of the moment at least...)
2. Straight Jeans: these are the best of all worlds as far as jeans go these days. I like straight fit because it is in the middle of each and every jean trend, so there is no way you can go wrong. Always have jeans tailored (it will only cost you $5-$10) for length as needed. Again, another item to invest in so that they will last... I really like these pair from Gap. I do believe I have posted about them before. But they are "right" in so many ways... fit, price and finish.
3. Scarves: (yes... in the summer!) A scarf can make an outfit in a moment and on the cheap. I have several, but this season I am really liking light weight scarves in bold colors. I just bought this exact scarf and I have had SO many compliments on it (and seriously people, it was $4.50!!!) Yellow is a great bold color this season and you can throw this on with a t-shirt and some jeans and you are set!
4. Flats: Is it just me or are the "trends" these days super easy? Who hates a challenging trend or an expensive one for that matter. And flats are so hot and so easy! I happen to really like them in metallics this summer because metallics go with every thing and versatility means you get more for your money! I will say boldly colored patent and the ever popular animal print (when done right) are a close second and third though.
5. Printed T-Shirts: Again, so simple and so timely. How fun (and cheap?) is this little top? Try to stay away from anything too over the top to reflect maturity (which sometimes a t-shirt can hinder). But this cute top with jeans or shorts is perfect for lazy summer days.
I hope you enjoyed the first five... stay tuned next week Friday for the final five!
And thanks again Liz for the email and for your readership! As always readers... feel free to email me anytime! goodlifeforless (at) gmail.com!