Wednesday, September 15, 2010

my outfit: "she's always buzzing..."

When sky blue gets dark enough... To see the colors of the city lights... A trail of ruby red and diamond white... Hits her like a sunrise...

Name that song, anyone???

It has to do with this sweater... and an old, old cd that I jam to regularly. If you guessed Neon by John Mayer from Room for Squares, you are right. Yes, he is a doofus (as far as the press in concerned) but when his pen goes to paper, fingers to guitar and mouth to microphone... he is genius.

I have been eyeing a super bright cardigan like this one for a while. I even had about 4 or 5 solid outfit configurations in my head of how I would style it as well. So when JCrew was having it's Final Sale with 30% off last week or whenever... it was MINE. I think I got it for less than $20.

But you know me, I'm not huge with color. So to keep it real I paired it with some brown's to mellow it out a bit. In general I thought this color would be hard/harsh to wear. Maybe it is the bit of summer skin left or my cool tones (dark hair/blue eyes) that makes it work. Either way I really like it - even though it's outside of my comfort zone for sure!

This fall with neutrals abounding as the palette of choice... I think a bold pop of color becomes not only easier to incorporate (just pair with greys, black or browns!) but almost necessary to keep things interesting... don't you? Will you consider a bright bold piece like this for fall?

Jacket, Old Navy (similar)
Cardi, JCrew (similar)
T-Shirt, JCrew (similar)
Jeans, 7 for all Mankind (similar)
Clogs, UGG
Wrap Bracelet, Forever 21 (similar)


Missy said...

I had ordered the same cardigan with the same thought... I'm a neutral girl but I love this color... It's so cute.. mine arrived yesterday... LOVE it! Hooray for 30% off final sale!

b.a. said...

super cute!!! love pops of neon. (we have jenna lyons to thank for that!) somehow i missed the extra 30 sale. dang it!

Jackie said...

Love this outfit! I can't remember what mag, but one had a spread a few months ago featuring khaki paired with brights, and I was smitten. It looks great on you.

Capital Barbie said...

I have that cardigan in neon pink, I'm actually wearing it today at work! Paired it with a silk off-white blouse and a black pencil skirt. You look great!

Linda Rose said...

LOVE IT! I have a bright green scarf that I wear in the fall and winter and I love it. It's great for dark, dreary days when everything outside is dead. Very cheery!

Ashley @ The Hillside Home said...

I think it looks great. I look awful in yellow, but I'm always drawn to it. With your dark hair, it looks great!
And I knew the song!!! :) I just may be JM's biggest fan. The live recordings of Neon are so great... a JM classic for sure. :)

Cathy said...

Love the pop of color! Sometimes I fall into a wardrobe rut and a bright color is just what I need to wake things up.

MrsKinne said...

I pull out "Room for Squares" every once and a while, too. I have trouble like Mr. Mayer sometimes, but I still love his music.

shealennon said...

I love how you've styled this cardigan. Neutrals plus a pop of color always works for me!

milk tea + polkadots said...

I always love a pop of color. $20 for a JCrew catalog is such a steal! What a great buy. :)


site design by kelly christine studio