Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hooked On... Bird Cages!

Bird cages have always been intriguing to me... not the kind you find in the pet store, but the old fashioned fancy ones that I see in antique stores and am instantly drawn to. And of course, birds in general are a common decorating feature these days... it's hard to miss all the sweet tweets popping up in etsy shops and blog banners around the internet. I picked up a wooden asian inspired bird cage for $5 dollars about 5 years ago at a yard sale and still haven't found the perfect inspiration for what to do with it yet. Here's some ideas...

Isn't this unexpected and dashing?


How about this adorable little bird cage pendant? It's pinch-able!


I even found fashion inspired by bird cages on polyvore (there isn't much you CAN'T find on polyvore!).
black.bird
black.bird - by Lauren Elizabeth© on Polyvore.com

For more "Hooked On" fun... head over to Hooked on Houses.

14 comments:

drollgirl said...

i love the bird cage thing, and i really love that you got one for $5!!!

ms. less is always more said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ms. less is always more said...

i know, $5 - I have to do something with it soon... you know, make it useful, so that my husband doesn't get any ideas of getting rid of it...

If you look carefully in an old post you can see it perched on the top of the shelves near my desk (the picture at the bottom). It's perfectly fine as is, I just think it needs some color and a nice home. The top corner of my shelves in my work area isn't a great place to highlight it's loveliness.

Here's the link:
http://goodlifeforless.blogspot.com/2008/12/where-do-you-blog-from.html

And speaking of those shelves, I have completely revamped them since I posted those pics... i'll have to get on posting new pics

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I just bought a tiny bird cage thingy that holds a candle!

I love finding bargains like your bird cage. That makes it not just another decoration!

-Kim

Lynne said...

I love birdcages too - I've seen great ones with a cluster of candles in them. I want one!

tatumfam said...

Love the bird cage! One of my best friends loves bird cages, and she has one which she hung up in her bay window and put balls of twig & twine in it. Looks good!

ms. less is always more said...

a cluster of candles on the inside is a great idea! I like that!

Fifi Flowers said...

I love to paint bird cages! I have a tiny minature one I got from the flea market and it is one of my favorite treasures in my kitchen window.
LOVE your photos!
ENJOY!
Fifi

paula said...

i love a pretty bird house. My daughter has one of the oldies in her room.

Arleen said...

I love bird cages, too. Love those in the photos you've included here!

Kotori said...

So funny - I am the same way with bird cages... slightly obsessed with them, but I don't actually own one. If I find one at a good price, though, it will be mine!

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

We're hooked on those bird cages too....$5 - what a bargain you lucky girl!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Lovin' your bird cages....The purpose will come. I know it!

Improvedliving said...

only for $5? wow this is real nice price for sure.


bird cages


 

site design by kelly christine studio