Wednesday, October 9, 2024

life lately, October!

It's hard to believe that we are a week into October already, but as I sit here munching on some Halloween candy (why does candy taste so good in miniature form?) with a fall candle going after I just baked some pumpkin bread... all signs point to major October vibes. My daughter's senior year is in full swing and my son is settling back into campus life. I'm still in this really strange spot in motherhood where I'm feeling like I just got demoted (or maybe fired?) from a job I really loved... it's such a weird phase of motherhood. I would've relished this type of freedom years ago when I was eyeball deep in crazy sports schedules and memorizing times tables and holding down the fort always with a husband that traveled for work a lot of the time. But it feels like too tight pants and an itchy sweater - uncomfortable, frustrating and like I'm just not myself most days. I'm learning to navigate it and just become one with the discomfort, but yeah, it's weird. Do we ever get used to it? Maybe not. 

On a lighter note, the cool crips mornings and evenings are so delightful lately. I'm loving sweater, jacket and layering weather and really finding a lot of solace in a change of pace in the weather. The fall always feels like fresh start and that's a feeling I'm basking in. 

Let's chat about some good stuff now...

Book I've read recently...

The God of the Woods by Liz Moore, while everyone was saying this was the IT book of the summer I have to be honest and it was just okay for me.  It was A LOT of build up for what I would call a so-so ending. I also found almost every character unlikable so it was hard to really root for anyone as the mystery unraveled. Was this a thriller? Drama? I'm not sure exactly but truly this isn't my favorite genre in general so take my review with a grain of salt. I know a lot of people truly enjoyed this book.

All the Colors of the Dark by Chris Whitaker, this is the other book that everyone is talking about lately and I liked this one much more than The God of the Woods. To me the story got off to a quicker start (even if the middle was a little slow) and I was really rooting for the main character, Patch. I so wanted his happy ending for him. I highly recommend this book, it's quite dark but not scary.

The Instrumentalist by Harriet Constable, this is the second book I've read about Venice this summer and I really enjoyed this one. I felt like this book completely swept me away to the orphanage and the concert halls of Venice.

Real Americans by Rachel Khong, this book was an absolute page turner for me and I just could not put it down. There is a lot to unpack here emotionally and perhaps a storyline that is TOO convenient but I thought it was a fascinating read and if you are in a bookclub this would make for a great group read because there is just so much to discuss here with all the family dynamics.

Five items I've purchased recently...

1. This budget fair isle sweater is SO pretty in person. Once the weather cools I go straight for fair isle and I can't stop myself! Other fair isle sweaters that have caught my eye this one in a gorgeous burgundy and this very splurgy but gorgeous option!

2. Sezane sweaters are always such a slam dunk and this one in stripes is just SO pretty in person. Other Sezane sweaters I have my eyes on right now this white cable knit sweater and this button neck sweater.

3. I can't say it enough but this sweatshirt and sweatshorts set is just TOO GOOD. A rollback sweatshirt? All my preppy dreams come true. I love wearing it around the house on weekends or for a sunny afternoon walk with my dog. (and they are BOTH on sale right now!)

4. These mini Uggs in this PERFECT shade for fall. I just love an Ugg boot and being in Michigan they get A LOT of wear in my closet for winter. This mini pair is easy with leggings and jeans and can be worn with or without socks - and I just LOVE this color.

5. Yes it's the piece of the fall that *everyone* is talking about and everyone loves - but I don't care. I love it too. This jacket.

Five Amazon prime deals we need to talk about...

1. I'm SO obsessed with every scent from this brand but I just purchased this body wash and I can tell you it's SOOO good. Like a little escape in the shower! And it's of course, on sale!

2. My favorite electrolytes are on sale right now and they rarely go on sale! I used to get the worst headaches after working out or playing tennis and voila! This has totally saved me. I like these specifically because they aren't too sweet and have organic ingredients and ALL the flavors are so yum, but this is a particular favorite!

3. The $12 sunglasses I wear pretty much everyday. They are comfortable and classic! (or this pair which is only $20 - I shuffle between those two the most)

4. If you are as obsessed with good sleep like me... then you will find this noise machine to be absolutely life changing! My husband and I did! We love it so much we take it with us when we travel or if my husband travels for work he brings the smaller version with him. Seriously. I can't sleep without this now! And it's on sale right now!

5. Need an easy stocking stuffer idea for college kids and young adults? These shower steamers are GREAT. I got them last Christmas for my son for the dorm and he raved about them - especially during cold season when college kids are perpetually sick. They turn a dorm (or fraternity or sorority or apartment) shower into a mini spa moment! 


 

site design by kiki co.