Wednesday, August 10, 2011

reader question: what to wear to summer weddings!

A few of the emails I got were requests for questions like "what to wear to a summer wedding?"... here are three:

Analia asks...

I was wondering if you could help me out to figure it out what to wear for a picnic wedding at a state park in NC. Any clues?

Carly writes...

I have a challenge! I'm attending a wedding on the beach where it will be very hot and humid, and it's practically a high school reunion so I have to look great! 

And finally, Anna has even ME (almost) stumped with this one...

In October, I will be attending and singing at my first ever… Harley Davidson wedding. The couple love motorcycles and are having the ceremony in the Harley Davidson store in Southern Maryland. As a girl who owns no leather, has never owned a motorcycle or any clothing resembling a biker, I am stumped. Normally for weddings I would wear a cute dress and heels, especially if I’m singing for the ceremony. However, the bride will not even be wearing a dress, but something in white leather. They have suggested jeans, but that just seems so wrong for a wedding.


It's great to have a classic dress or two on hand for attending weddings. I personally love this style from J.Crew (I actually own a very similar silhouette from a few years back).  This silhouette will never go out of style, is universally flattering and makes a perfect back-drop for any type of accessory.  Here I showcased the same dress in three different colors and styled three different ways.

STATE PARK WEDDING
(key points: fun & a bit frivolous)


BEACH WEDDING
(key points: light colors and hat to keep cool & beach tones)


HARLEY WEDDING
(key points: simple black dress & some edgy choices to keep on theme)


9 comments:

Cait said...

omg love all the outfits :) great pics! xo

Terrie Mathison said...

Great picks! I love the detailing on the dress but you can really only see it on the light blue one. Great choices! I also love that sun hat!!

Sunday Dreaming said...

I think what you chose for the Harley Davidson wedding is perfect! Edgy but still put together at the same time. I love those black wedges!

twogirlstwofriends said...

I absolutely love this week! Great ideas... can't wait for Thurs and Fri!

Elisabeth @
www.twogirlstwofriends.blogspot.com

Sydney Davis said...

ohhh! awesome picks! Those are right on the money :)

HeatherOh said...

What an adorable post!

Anonymous said...

The shoes in the first 2 suggestions are highly impractical for a state park and beach. how could anyone navigate an outdoorsy park in those wedges? how can anyone possibly walk in sand with those shoes? at least make a sensible shoe recommendation...like cute, flat sandals for both. when giving advice, make sure it's both cute and practical.

Jill GG (good life for less) said...

Thanks Anonynous for your input. This being MY blog, I always suggest things that I think are cute and practical, those shoes included. I would personally wear anything and every thing that I suggest here - I'm sorry you disagree. But I'm not sorry about my recommendations. Thanks for reading though!

Jenn said...

I really love the second look! That sea-foam green had my knees buckling, it's so beautiful. And wedges for a summer wedding is the perfect shoe.

Complex Cardigans


 

site design by kelly christine studio