Thursday, February 24, 2011

my outfit: sweaters!

I  have always loved a good sweater and jean combo... but lately I have been trying to avoid this look.  Why? Because it's my 'rut' - it's my day in, day out, go-to combo that quickly becomes un-original. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make for a bad combo in general. Just for me. I usually feel that it doesn't stretch my creativity and remixing skills the best that it could.

Lately I have been trying to ease myself back into allowing myself to wear sweaters and jeans but challenging myself to still be creative.

This outfit here was inspired by a similar look I found on Pinterest.  By the way, feel free to follow my wardrobe inspiration board on Pinterest if you are so inclined. I try to sock away interesting and simple looks that I can try to recreate.

With this outfit I challenged myself to change up my look to bring it past the boring sweater/jeans combo and to do that I added the scarf, did my hair a little differently and added bold lip color.

And while each of those things aren't necessarily wardrobe components, they still add to the over all look and helped to keep me from feeling frumpy.

ps, it's still super cold and snowy here, so since the winter is winding down I have given myself almost free reign on wearing my Uggs as much as I please.  They may not be the cutest things... but they are the warmest by far!

Scarf, Limited (similar) - watch for a tutorial on how to tie a scarf like this next week!
Sweater, Gap (similar)
Jeans, Seven for All Mankind (similar)
Boots, Uggs
Watch, Michael Kors


Linley said...

love this casual look! you seems so comfy, but chic and stylin' at the same time! love it!

My Fashionable World said...

I absolutely really love your style!!!! It's practical, chic, and something that us real woman can wear on our day to day. I been reading you for a while, however I couldn't comment. I just started my own blog...follow me to I look foward to continue reading your posts. p.s. Now I can comment too.. :)

moderngirl said...

love it! so comfy, but still chic!

i try to make an effort in my style, which is when i leave the house, but sometimes i can get stuck in the rut for a couple of weeks too. come check out my style on my blog!


Erin said...

Jill, Looks great! I love the grey with the winter white (ok, off white). Also, your lipstick keeps it from looking too plain. Very polished and you maintain that "effortless" feeling. Nice!

My Heart Blogged said...

I have been in a jeans rut. I really need to buy a pair or two of dress pants.
My Heart Blogged

Nicole said...

Looks great and sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to be warm. You look comfy but stylish at the same time!

SAHM and Marine Wife said...

I LOVE sweaters. Very stylish! New follower from WIWW

mitzi said...

sweater and jeans combo are the best! you look great!!! Scarves and other accessories (necklaces!) can save us from any "rut" we're in.

btw I'm a new follower from Manila, Philippines

Mommyblogger said...

Yep I know what you mean. I'm bad to do sweater & jeans combo too. I actually threw a scarf on the other day with a sweater just to give it some more flair. You look great. It really does spice up the sweater!

maria said...

This scarf on you is just how simple yet classic this is, amazing.

Katie Baba Nielson said...

ummm, i kinda wanna be like you. you always dress fashionably, but comfortably. as i've been doing the 30 for 30 challenge, i have learned how important it is for me to be comfortable in my clothes. and i know you've said you wear jeans a lot (i do too- love my skinnies and jeggings and i don't care who knows it :) but i don't seem to notice that you wear them often because the rest of your outfit changes so much. anyway, i think you do a good job of keeping it creative, comfy, and fashionable!

fivestarfinds said...

I LOVE wearing my scarves like this, in fact there is one on my blog post this week in while in Mexico on vacay....I like to wear a really large one all wrapped up, that way, if the night air is chilly (as it is in mexico in feb) you have an instant wrap for the evening. They have some really cute sassy ones at TJ maxx. Man I love that place.


site design by kelly christine studio