Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cali: the food!

After sunning (cringe, I know it's bad for you!), my favorite vacation activity is eating. I love trying out restaurants that are different from what we have at home and I love being inspired by their menus. Food to me is one of the best parts of life...

So of course I took pictures of some of my favorite meals in Newport Beach... we ate like kings and queens. It was SO amazing how good the food was there... boy oh boy.  One quick note before I dig in (ahem) to the photos... I have to send a HUGE internet thank you to reader Alex who emailed me all of her favorite places in Newport to shop and eat. We took almost ALL of her recos and they were spot on - so THANK YOU Alex!  You literally made our trip so much easier and enjoyable!

 (top left) Okay, this isn't in Newport, but still worth mentioning! Everytime my husband and I fly through MSP we always stop at Ike's in the F Gate.  The food is SO amazing (especially for an airport) and we always leave full and ready to hop on our next plane.  They have a super crazy Bloody Mary concoction that we have yet to try, but that always piques our interest called the "Weekender".

(top right) I always order the "Key Wester" which is a simple omelet stuffed with cream cheese and chives. It sounds so simple, but it is SO heavenly.  Their hash browns are to die for as well - perfectly crispy!

(bottom left) Our first dinner in Cali was at The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. We wanted no-nonsense seafood and that is exactly what we got.  The food was quick (we were STARVING!) and so incredibly fresh and delicious!  Plus they serve beer in plastic cups... simplicity at it's finest.

(bottom right) We snagged a bag of salt water taffy - yum, my favorite! - on the way out and ate it as we walked around Balboa Island that evening.  Don't you love walking off a good meal? Feels great.  And this was some of the best taffy I have ever had!

(top left) one evening for dinner we went to Habana at the Lab a really tasty Cuban restaurant in a funky little area (the Japanese restaurant here looked amazing too!) The red sangria was top notch!

(top right) I ordered the vegetarian polenta dish that was OUT of this world.  It was served with rice and plantains.  Really, SUCH good food.

(bottom left) our favorite place for breakfast - we may have gone more than once - was Le Pain Quotidien. Everything here was so fresh and healthy.  I loved that they even served their breakfast frittata with a little salad!  And I love that their name means "The Daily Bread". Cute!

(bottom right) The coffee service at Le Pain Quotidien was also so charming - a latte bowl, a coffee server and little jug of cream. I was in heaven.

We ate at a couple other places that we really loved too (but that I didn't photograph)...
The Plate in Malibu, their food was really good and the fresh juices were nuts-good.
True Food Kitchen, amazing healthy food and the drink menu was so unique and tasty.

No comments: