Thursday, July 14, 2011

summer reads!

I am a book LOVER and an avid reader... I love to read all year long (it's totally my therapy) but summer time reading is the best, no!?!? I thought I would update you all on what I have been reading lately... I've been an absolute book worm!

If you are a woman and you eat and you believe in a higher power (God, for me) then you must read this book.  It is not about dieting, it's not even really about losing weight (although it kind of is).  It's about trust and faith and self love.  It's REALLY amazing.

I'm usually not much for unadulterated 'chic lit' but I'm not against it either. Since this was just made into a movie I thought I would check it out. It was fun and girly and entertaining.  What more can you ask for in a summer read?

I bought all three of the Hunger Games books at the same time because I wanted (really, really wanted and deeply desired) to fall all over them like the Twilight books.  While they were good, they weren't Twilight. Although, that may not be a fair comparison.  The second book (this one) was way more interesting to me than than the first. But I do recommend both. They have interesting themes and good plots. Also, my husband just devoured the whole series. So maybe read these with your guy.

This again falls under 'chic lit' and was pretty fluffy. Would I highly recommend this book?  Hmmmm... maybe. I could have gone for better character development and a little bit more of a believable story line.  I kept confusing all of the characters... the names didn't seem to fit their personalities. But overall it was pretty good.  Plus, the cover is SO cute... no!?!?

Of all the books listed here this was my favorite novel (Women Food and God is not in the novel category).  I loved the meandering story line. I always love historical fiction.  And lastly, I loved that it was in Seattle, since I was just there.  The story touches on fate, issues of 'what could have been' and family connections. I also value a book that can leave sex and violence and other attention grabbers out and just tell an honest to goodness STORY.  I highly recommend this book.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
I had seen this book around but I was turned off by the cover (is that bad?) and so I never picked it up, but I requested it from the library anyway and had it last to read in my stack.  I guess that is why I was MOST pleasantly surprised.  It was a coming of age story and a story about second chances.  It was also a story about the South.  I loved the descriptions of Savannah and the fun women that the main character interacted with.  This story had good depth and great character development.  I felt myself just wanting to jump into the pages of this story and live in it for a day. It would great a make movie... it's part Ya Ya Sisterhood and part The Help.

17 comments:

Cara said...

Great minds think alike! I'm trying to get my summer reading list posted to blogger today(having issues) but I loved Something Borrowed and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is on my "to read" list. I just finished Vaclav and Lena and The Girl's Guide to Homelessness,which were both fantastic.

k.rahn said...

That is so weird...I just did a book post today, too. It must just be that time of the summer when spending time in the sunshine with your nose in a book sounds like heaven. Love your list! I always love to see what people are reading.

Kiki's Corner said...

Thanks for these suggestions. I've started to read the hunger games.

Hope you have a great day :)

kikiscornerfunfashionandfrivolity.blogspot.com

Sydney Davis said...

I couldn't agree more: summer reading is truly the best. I will definitely be checking out those books.

e.kinnear said...

I'm sorry, I have to disagree about the Hunger Games. I found it WAY more amazing than Twilight :)! I love your reading suggestions. I've read several of the books you suggested from your Thursday Latelies and liked them all so I'll have to try some of these as well. Thanks!

Kassie said...

I should check out the first book! Sounds like something I NEED to read.

I liked the Twilight series, but I definitely think I like Hunger Games more!

Jill GG (good life for less) said...

WOW! Lots of Hunger Games lovers here! That's great!

Ingrid said...

I just finished The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and LOVED it so much. Living in Seattle it was great to hear some history of the international district. This is an honestly excellent book. The Help is next, I started it on vacation. I have heard Women Food and God is great and would love to do that next. Have you read any Anne Lamott books? They are great, she is an excellent Christian women's author.

Les said...

Have you tried "Something Blue"? It's the sequel to "Something Borrowed" and better in my opinion. Great choices!

Shen Dove said...

I really liked the Hunger Games series. I'm embarrassed to say how much I love young adult literature, I think it's one of my favorite genre's. I will definitely pick up the Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet from the library because it sounds good as well!

Betsy said...

Thanks for posting this list! I recently finished the Hunger Games Trilogy-- but I listened to - NO JUDGING- the audiobooks! I'm 26, and I *love* audiobooks, there I said it. I love them because they help make tedious tasks like dishes and folding laundry fly by! When I'm really into a book you can tell because my house is pretty tidy. I'll even bribe myself "I can listen to an hour of my book if I tackle this pile of shirts to iron" I also use that logic to watch The Bachelorette...yikes.

Ways to get audiobooks:

1) Audible.com, Amazon's audiobook store (you can listen on your computer or smartphone app, very easy and HUGE selection)

2) most public libraries have a service where you can "check out" audiobooks for free and play it on your computer or smartphone app, all from the web, don't even have to go to the library! it's so amazing.

3) borrow audiobook CDs from the library, upload them onto your computer (iTunes) and then listen to them on your computer or ipod/iphone, etc -- free!

I guess I like audiobooks because being read to was always the best part of school when I was little, and because I feel guilty lounging around reading sometimes (because I spend that time on Twitter, obvi), so this way I'm productive and enjoying a book. :)

I'm going to look into Saving CeeCee Honeycutt!

Christy from fountains of home said...

Thanks for the book tips! I love hearing what everyone is reading and these look like they could be fun. Summer reading is glorious!

MrsKinne said...

I also judge books by their covers. :)

Jill said...

ha! i bought summer rental because of the cute cover!

G. said...

I mostly judge books by their covers too. That's is probably a mistake, but I think a book should be attractive to make you want to read it. I don't like too much romance, drama etc. I read only chicklit or adventure...For the moment I read the biography of Anna Wintour, very interesting I have to say!

ashley said...

Love the suggestions!! I just finished 'Hope in a Jar' and Last night at Chateau Marmont' and 'Certain Girls' (for the second time).

Love* finding new reads and even more so when given a little info! ;)

I'm a new follower!! :)

Kathryn said...

I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and *loved* it - thanks for sharing your summer reads!!


 

site design by kelly christine studio