Thursday, February 17, 2011

personal style, defined: vintage!

Welcome back to another installment of personal style, defined.  For this series, my girl Jackie and I showcase various style genres for fashion (done by moi) and home decor and interiors (done by Jackie).  Today we are diving into 'vintage' style and this is going to be fun!  So let's dig in...


While I don't get too much into the procurement of actual 'vintage' goodies for my wardrobe... I love hints of vintage touches in an outfit.  By the way... did you know that "vintage" loosely refers to items from the 1920's to the 1980's, "antique" is anything before the 20's and "retro" is considered anything from the previous era (i.e. the 90's).

Perfectly worn denim jackets, box frame handbags and some flapper-esque earrings are all some fun vintage elements that can be creatively grouped for one simple and chic outfit.



Vintage flared jeans that are ALL the rage these days plus some fun oversized sunglasses make this look very reminiscent of the 70's.  This outfit would be such a blast to wear!

Delicate floral mini dresses and leather hobo handbags are definitely items you could pick up in your local vintage clothing store.  They are very applicable pieces for today's style paired with some cat-eye sunglasses and a military inspired jacket.


So are you a vinage-y gal? I definitely want to look to integrate more vintage pieces in my wardrobe... sound off, let me know your thoughts on the vintage style!

And don't forget to head on over to Jackie's blog for vintage inspired interiors!

8 comments:

pve design said...

love it....love mixing high and low, new and vintage....
pve

YellowBirdDayBook said...

I love vintage! I have all my Mom's crazy earrings from the 70's and they are so fun!

Is it wrong to feel old when you say 80's is vintage??

MerciBlahBlah said...

Girl, you know it's true. I loves me some vintage, ESPESH when I score it at the thrift store (cuz it's ALWAYS cheaper on thrift than at an actual vintage place). I think vintage jewelry is my favey fave.

merci!
Shannan

Lindsey said...

I'm the same way as you, I only have a few vintage things courtesy of my Grandma. (i.e. Belts and a beautiful clutch) I love being able to incorporate these treasured pieces into my outfit and when I get complimented I love being able to tell someone it's vintage and watch their mouths drop.

I just can't get into the vintage clothes from places like Goodwill. The strong smell in the Goodwill by me makes my stomach hurt (I don't know if this is true for all Goodwills). I can't imagine staying in there to scrounge through the racks because I literally get nauseous (call me crazy). Altough, I do know a lot of people who find fabulous things at Goodwill. It's just not for me. And trust me, I clearly love a good deal (hence, my blog's name ... the bargain blonde). So I guess the moral of my story here is I like a few vintage things that are sentimental to me, but I don't go looking for them.

Rachael said...

I love the mixing of pieces of vintage with new - it keeps the look from being too costumey!

Jackie said...

Love these outfits! I obvi adore vintage, although the clothing side is hard for me. One look at racks and racks of clothes and I get dizzy at the thought of sifting through them all. But I have found one or two shops in Sonoma county that I can handle. It totally depends on the store. Also, I've been loving scouring etsy for vintage fashions-so much easier than looking yourself and you can zero in on exactly what you are looking for in two seconds flat. But of course, it's more expensive than if you found it yourself.

My Heart Blogged said...

I think my style is somewhat vintage. I love thrifting, and finding unique vintage pieces. I also like pin-up inspired clothing as well.
My Heart Blogged

Tia Brumbelow said...

Outfit #2 is totally my style! Love the look


 

site design by kelly christine studio