Tuesday, January 18, 2011

you asked...

I just remembered that you lovely ladies had some questions for me in honor of my recent third year blog-iversary!  Sorry to leave those forgotten... I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath!

Here we go... you asked... I answer.

Kristen wants to know my workout routine...
I am a die-hard pilates gal.  But let me say, it's VERY important to find a very skilled and knowledgable instructor.  You need an instructor that knows all of the standard pilates moves and is well versed with a reformer and how to imitate a reformer's moves on a mat (reformer classes are VERY expensive).  Pilates class shouldn't just be taught by a yoga teacher or aerobics teacher that is familiar with pilates (some gyms do this and it's wrong, wrong, wrong).  Pilates, when done right and taught right will dramatically change your body.  I'm glad I have stuck with it (I've been torturing myself, I mean practicing pilates, for almost two years).

So that is my pilates rant.  I do pilates for an hour once or twice a week. When I am not doing pilates my workouts consist of 15 minutes of aerobic exercise (fast walking or the dreaded elliptical, I do NOT run, hate it!) about 20 minutes of weight lifting to keep toned, 20 minutes of random stuff like calf raises, lunges, planks or any other crazy weight/balance/toning trick I can come up with and 15 solid minutes of hard core abdominal work.   I'm not going to lie, my stomach has never been this flat, I have also never worked so hard to get it there.

To sum it up, 3 hard core hours a week of workouts.  No slacking.

Kathy wants to know about my diet... 

Ugghhh. If candy, pop and wine were food groups, they would be mine. I love junk food.  Like REALLY love it.  So I will bribe myself with "real" food to get it.  I eat a small breakfast (think an apple and a whole wheat bagel and my weight in coffee) and lunch (small salad or cheese and crackers with a smoothie) and usually a decent dinner and always a snack after the kids go to bed (so I don't have to share, naturally).

I'm not one with a HUGE appetite.  But when I am hungry I eat and when I am not, I don't.

I try to do organic when I can and within reason.  I was a vegetarian for a while and hope to go back to that diet when the kids get older. It's hard to have little ones and not serve meat.

Jackie wants to know what line of work I was in before staying home...

Um, Jill of all trades, master of none here.  For many many years I was personal/executive/in-home assistant to the rich and (not so) famous. Really. Booking private jets. Grabbing coffees. Coordinating the delivery of fur coats and decorating Christmas trees and everything in between.  In general, making dreams come true (every one else's dreams that is).  Think Devil Wears Prada meets The Nanny Diaries.  No joke.  I quit that at the end of my pregnancy with my first child.  TOO much for a mom to do.  Well, too much for any normal person to do in general.

When I went back to work (my first was 8 months old) I worked for a small real estate developer running the office and doing whatever was thrown at me.  I balanced the books, chose paint colors, did walk throughs with contractors, bossed big guys with hammers in their hands around, kept up bank relations and (again) fetched coffees.  I loved this job, but we all know what the housing market is/was like and it became very stressful.

I left after three years to a job that I thought would be more secure and it turns out I hate 'secure' and 'boring' and cubicles. I quit and decided to stay home and pursue my own thing.  That was a blog, I guess.

Thirtynothing asks what I like most and least about blogging...

Let's see... LEAST: mean people. blogging can be a rat race.

MOST: really awesome people I have met. total creative freedom. I do what I want, when I want.  did I mention my bloggy friends?

Seriously, when I first started blogging I would hear other bloggers say that and I wouldn't get it.  But it's true, if you do this enough and do it right... the best thing about blogging is meeting amazing people.

gb asked about good styles for the 50+ set...

Seriously, my mom is the "50 + set" and she dresses like me.  I don't think the stuff I put on here is out of reach for the more mature audience.  Always (no matter your age) make sure you feel comfortable in what you are wearing and make sure that it expresses your personal style.

I will say that some of the current trends that are friendly to all ages are these: striped tops, casual blazers, tunics with leggings, wide leg jeans and flats.

Mrs. Biscuit wants to know about my make-up routine and favorites...

This is a GOOD one... I'm thinking maybe I'll do a post specifically on this subject, because I have gotten it before.  So while I hate to keep you hanging Mrs. Biscuit, I am going to.  I will say that I really enjoy the Boots line at Target.  It's easy to use, great quality and a good price point.

Daphne wants to know how and why I consider blogging my job...

I wrote a post here on the monetization of your blog.  Check that out...

This blog isn't so much a stream of income as is the services and products that I offer in conjunction with it.  Think wardrobe consults and looks:books (and my upcoming e-book).   Then there are other more "standard" streams of income from the blog like sponsorships and affiliates.  I'm not going to go super in depth here... but that's how.

YellowBirdDayBook is curious about my plan of attack when going into really high volume stores like Forever 21...

This is a good question, I think you have to be in the right mindset and have somewhat in mind what you are looking for.  You also have to be ready to try on A LOT of stuff.  There is a lot of trial and error in Forever 21, at least for me.   I'm sure it's very similar to thrifting, which I don't really get into... similar mentality.

Les asks about my "go-to" outfit...

Leggings are good... skinny jeans are always good for me... blazers I love for their simple sophistication and stripes I love.

Jen V wants to know what TOMS I recommend...

I have a pair of polka dots and a pair of silver sparkles.  I also really love the leopard pair Jackie has and the burlap pair b.a. has.  Tough decisions.  I saw the black sparkles recently in person and I really like those as well.  So my top three are sparkles (any color), burlap or leopard.  That's actually three recommendations! (also Jen V just had a most beautiful little baby boy - congrats Jen! I hope you have time to catch up on the blog, to read this answer, soon!)

Whew... that's a lot of words! I hope you learned something/were inspired by my answers!

As always, a huge thank you to every one that reads!!!

5 comments:

Mama Marshmallow said...

I am also a huge fan of pilates, definetly gives the tone that a busy mom like me needs!

v said...

Awesome!
I have a question! (If you ever do this again!)

I have to say...I'm not the biggest fan of TOMS - but I think they look just so cute on OTHER people- I'd love to know what you most often wear them with!

Daphne said...

Thank you Jill for your answer. It makes me feel better that it took you quite some time to get to this point. I haven't even celebrated my 1 year anniversary of my blog yet so it gives me the courage and motivation to keep going. I will be following your advice. Thanks again.

https://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

I don't know how I missed this and am just getting back to reading it. Fun answers-I love how committed to pilates you are. I wish I could get into something like that. Also, we eat exactly the same. Tons of coffee in the morn, cheese & crackers at lunch, kind of whatever for dinner. I live for the little junky snacks here and there. Def don't have a big appetite. Oh, and lets not forget wine! Thats like a food group in and of itself!

jen v said...

Thanks Jill for the shout out to my little cutie, he really is that adorable! With my c-section I've actually had way TOO much time to spend online, which seems to lead to shopping...:)I checked out your Toms recommendations and I really like the Burlap ones. I'm wondering if they wash well? Jackie, are you able to keep them looking somewhat clean with them being a lighter color?