Monday, June 7, 2010

my outfit: all american!

I love a good street fair as much as the next guy... it's true that I hate the crowds, but I love the food. So when The Festival of Arts opened in downtown Grand Rapids this past weekend it was my number one goal to a) get there early (beat the crowds) and b) get my slimy little hands on an elephant ear. It was a touch on the cool side and I was feeling like classic and simple. So I took the plunge on the denim "suit". I know some may not love the look, but I was a fan.

The key here was that the jeans were a very dark rinse and the jacket was a more destructed light color. The contrast of the two made it seem more intentional, less like an accident, I guess. Does that make sense?

This scarf is vintage, I just love all of the colors. So summery. I am also loving that these more handkerchief style scarves are available in stores now as well. I have three of them, all found at antique or thrift stores... so check there if you want some in fun colors before all the hipsters snatch them up!

How was your weekend? Were there any elephant ears involved??? mmmm..... I like mine with cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar!

Jacket, Gap (similar)
Tee, Target
Scarf, Vintage (similar, similar, similar)
Jeans, Seven for all Mankind (similar)
Sandals, Forever 21 (similar)
Purse, Coach, gift


Miyan said...

Wow- you pulled off the "denim suit" so well! Love, love, love the basic white tee, colorful scarf and across the body bag. You look great!!!

Elle Sees said...

Elephant ears??

annie said...

Okay, before I've thought the denim-on-denim look was totally not for me. Now... I'm pretty sure I'll be trying this in the future! And I love, love, love those jeans. I've always wondered if I have to wear heals with longer jeans, but now I think I'll be giving it a shot as well. Love this outfit!

sealaura said...

you rock this look Jill!! I have a feeling it is best for the slimmest girls. I am dying to find a jean jacket that is not too "saved by the bell" but I am still on the look out. Is the key to have it be a tad small? help! my girls are a healthy 34C so I am afraid I might not be able to rock the jacket, thoughts?

Torrie said...

You did pull off the denim outfit nicely. I have a dark denim jacket and wear it often, but have never tried it w/ any of my (many) pairs of jeans.

...never tried elephant ears before!

jill said...

i think this look is fantastic! well done :)

Nishant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dobbygirl said...

Love it! Jeans are fab!

Don't know why I didn't put it together that you are in/near GR. I used to go there all the time for work (our sales/marketing/customer service depts were there and I also had to visit the furniture manufacturers on occasion). I always enjoyed my visits!

K said...

Okay, I mean this with love, but a Canadian tuxedo is a Canadian tuxedo. I think it's more about the denim on denim than the wash that bugs me.

ms. less is always more said...

K, you can take your "loving" comments somewhere else then. Seriously?

K said...

My apologies...I think my comments were taken the wrong way. I love this blog, Jill's ideas and all the work she puts into it.

That being said, and I have to assume that she would welcome the occasional friendly critique. I would tell my girlfriend or mother the same thing if I thought my opinion was 1. solicited and 2. welcome. I'm pretty sure that's the case here, but correct me if I'm wrong.


site design by kelly christine studio