Wednesday, April 28, 2010

work it Wednesday: boat shoes

Reader, Megan, emailed me recently wanting some tips for styling some Sperry Top Sider boat shoes. If you are thinking, "wait, those? Those are so old school..." you are right. But they are back (as are so many trends from the 80's and 90's, no?). I thought this would be a perfect item to feature for my Work it Wednesday series here on the blog.

~~~

Work it Wednesday is one of the longest running series here on the blog where I feature one item in three different ways to show how a certain piece can be versatile in your wardrobe.

~~~

Norstrom is carrying boat shoes in bold patent colors and JCrew is carrying them in "exclusive" colors. If that doesn't prove they are back, I don't know what does.

But any way, back to Megan, she wanted to style them in a way that doesn't scream "Hey, I'm Nautical!" (her words, not mine... but brilliant none the less). Unless you are actually just coming from the yacht club, I'm betting you don't want to look like you just came from the yacht club. Although - then again, maybe some of y'all do. I'm not going to offend any one, so I will stop here.

Let's just do it up with the shoes, shall we?

It's probably safe to say that just in the mere act of putting these outfits together that I have in fact already talked myself into a pair of boat shoes. How can you say "no" to this outfit? Impossible!


This look is a great spring look... but I can invision it for fall as well. Are you with me?


Patent yellow? Resistance is futile...


Enjoy Megan... I sure hope you have snagged a pair already (or that you are not a size 6 1/2 - cuz we may have to fight for them all!)

Got a reader question for me? Email me... I try to answer them all and feature most if not all here on the blog! goodlifeforless @ gmail (you know the rest...)

7 comments:

Meghann said...

I have a pair of Sperry's and I wear them all the time - they are the MOST comfortable shoe ever. It doesn't take long to break them in, and then they are just perfect. PERFECT. And I made fun of my little sister for about a full year before sheepishly buying my own.

Megan said...

AWESOME. Great outfit choices! For some reason, I'm still partial to the classic looking ones rather than the bright colors and I'm glad there is hope for outfits that don't scream yacht club! You are too sweet and I am in love with your outfit pairings! Thank you for being so responsive and creative!! :) :)

Elle Sees said...

I'm glad these are back! I tend to get stuck on an item (ex. if I have on yellow shoes, can anything else be yellow or is it too much?), and thanks to you, I can see how to pair it with outfits. Cute stuff, as always.

Mrs.LifeAccounts said...

I purchased two pairs of sperry's a while back and I love them. But I didn't want a classic boat shoe, I was looking for more of a leather moc look. The Sperry Top-Sider Angelfish are by far my favorites out there and if Megan is looking for some classic looking ones they have some excellent choices (also have some fun prints and animal touches too).

Erin said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE! So where does one purchase Sperry's? Online? Now I want a pair!

sara said...

Ok, so if you were going to get just one pair, what color would you go with?

Nicole said...

Love what you came up with! I live near the coast and the younger girls (high school and college) have been wearing those for a few years now. I though about buying a pair for myself ;)


 

site design by kelly christine studio