Friday, March 5, 2010

dinner party on a dime...

There are a group of gals I just love having over for little dinner parties! We always do potluck, so the pressure of the food isn't just on me and then we have fun trying out a wide variety of dishes...

I always like to choose a theme or feel for the night to keep it fun... past themes I have done are pink/green and summer/country. For this past dinner party I wanted to use the best of what I already had around the house...

When I started brainstorming I knew I wanted to use the black napkins that I had left over from a different event this winter. Then I thought it would be fun to add my shiny red finials.



From there the black and red theme evolved to include candy centerpieces... who doesn't love candy? So I hit up a local specialty food store for fun red and black/chocolate candy.



And lastly I had the amazing idea of using playing cards as the table runner. I used three whole packs to cover the center of the table (all of which I had hanging around the house!).



The only real "cost" was the candy... which came in at about $10. Now that is a dinner party for less, huh? Fun was had by all... I thought maybe an impromptu card game may have arisen, but no, we were all way to busy chatting!

ps. That's a new dining table (well, new to me... actually a craigslist find) I didn't want to show too much of my new dining room which has been in the works since the New Year... I hope to unveil in next week!

QG9YT2YTVZ35

7 comments:

Jackie said...

What a cute idea to use playing cards as a table runner! WHY do you have to live so far away from me :(

Can't wait to see your dining room makeover-you have been on a roll lately! I'm jealous.

heather s. said...

LOVE the candy dishes - where did you find them? I've found two similar items at the Salvation Army but I want more! :)

jen v said...

SO great..and deliciously looking candy..:) I agree, you have been on a roll lately. I always have loved your posts, but the last few weeks have been extra great! Keep up the fabulous work!

ms. less is always more said...

heather, they are just milk glass dishes from the thrift store... check antique stores too as I often see them there!

jen, thank you! That is so nice of you!

jackie, girl, I know... don't you want to visit Michigan?

Today Hilary... said...

Sooo cute! I love the graphic element of playing cards. I used them to make gift labels this past christmas....

karen said...

I love the cards! And the table (especially if it came from Craigslist)! You are so lucky to have dinner parties with good friends. Those are the best kind!

Holly said...

so cute! i also agree that a theme makes everything pulled together


 

site design by kelly christine studio